From 680-740 i practice tests.. just 590 on the D Day

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all..
I gave my GMAT on 30th aug. Scored just meager 590(50Q 21V). I was consistently scoring well in all my practice tests. Gave all MGMAT(scoring from as low as 660 to as high as 730), GMAT prep(ranging from 650 to 740). But dunno what went wrong on the D day. Quant was not that easy. Few questions were tough. I had to guess.
Also in practice tests i used to finish quant 15 mins early and verbal also 10-15 mins early but on the exam day i took me the entire time.
On the contrary in verbal i was falling short of time. Had to hurry in the last. In verbal i didn't get a single BOLDFACED type question. Then itself i realised that i am doing badly.
My only advice would be to be calm on the exam day and do not anticipate your performance just the questions u get. Especially for verbal try in your practice tests to finish exam at least 10 mins before so that on the exam day you utilize the time completely.
Planning to give GMAT again. May be in Jan as now i want to concentrate on other management exams. But would JAN be too late? I plan to apply for Masters IN Management targeting (LSE, Rotterdam,IE,CASS,ESCp,HEC)

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by outreach » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:53 pm
which round r u targetting? typically R2 and R3 are very competitive
all the best with ur preps
-------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
General blog
https://amarnaik.wordpress.com
MBA blog
https://amarrnaik.blocked/

by prachi39 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:57 pm
Hi.. I wanted to target 2nd round. But seems cannot do so now. I'll apply for 3rd round. What min score is required for the following profile:
10th:92%
12th:93%
Graduation(b.Tech from NIT):91%
Wok ex:10 months(as on aug 31 2010) in Oracle

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by RaviKiran » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:27 am
HI,

I had a similar experience today..........

I gave my gmat today and was totally shocked by the score.

My gmat score 590 Q49 V 23 .

My scores in practise tests were as follows:-

Gmat Prep1 720 (3 days before the test)
Gmat Prep2 740 (2 days before the test)

Kaplan diagnostic 670 (2 months before the test)
Knewton free online test 750 ( 1month before the test)
Manhattan free online test 680 (1 month before the test)
Princeton 1 : 620 (15 days before the test)
Princeton 2 : 690 (14 days before the test)
Princeton 3: 620 (13 days before the test)
Princeton 4: 690 (12 days before the test)

I have done Official guide 12th edition. Now , the score of D-day shattered me . I am not understanding what to do now.?
I wish to retake the test 2 months hence. However, I do not understand what material to start with as I have already practiced official guide questions. ( Doing them again , I guess I would already know the answers ).

My mind almost went numb while doing verbal. I was not totally myself while doing verbal. Just had the notion of choosing one option and moving ahead. However, in the end I was left struck. Just sat in the room with my head held down.

I plan to retake test 2months from now with focus on verbal. I guess that would be a better option as I am already in flow and need no immerse more in verbal.

Regards,
Ravi

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Victory_GMAT » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:42 am
RaviKiran wrote:HI,

I had a similar experience today..........

I gave my gmat today and was totally shocked by the score.

My gmat score 590 Q49 V 23 .

My scores in practise tests were as follows:-

Gmat Prep1 720 (3 days before the test)
Gmat Prep2 740 (2 days before the test)

Kaplan diagnostic 670 (2 months before the test)
Knewton free online test 750 ( 1month before the test)
Manhattan free online test 680 (1 month before the test)
Princeton 1 : 620 (15 days before the test)
Princeton 2 : 690 (14 days before the test)
Princeton 3: 620 (13 days before the test)
Princeton 4: 690 (12 days before the test)

I have done Official guide 12th edition. Now , the score of D-day shattered me . I am not understanding what to do now.?
I wish to retake the test 2 months hence. However, I do not understand what material to start with as I have already practiced official guide questions. ( Doing them again , I guess I would already know the answers ).

My mind almost went numb while doing verbal. I was not totally myself while doing verbal. Just had the notion of choosing one option and moving ahead. However, in the end I was left struck. Just sat in the room with my head held down.

I plan to retake test 2months from now with focus on verbal. I guess that would be a better option as I am already in flow and need no immerse more in verbal.

Regards,
Ravi
My feeling is that questions testing same concept but presented in different way, could be the reason. Did you guys did GMAT prep many times before your pre-exam score of 720? I think when people put entire stress on SC then CR and RC contribute to the lower score. try with random selection of magazines, newspapers and apply all questions; purpose, main point, inference, scope on those randomly selected passages. Your SC score may not be bad but RC may have lowered score.

by sravan.aravelly » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:30 am
:-)
Last edited by sravan.aravelly on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sravan Aravelly

GMAT Score:760

by Vipulvp » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:04 am
prachi39 wrote:Hi all..
I gave my GMAT on 30th aug. Scored just meager 590(50Q 21V). I was consistently scoring well in all my practice tests. Gave all MGMAT(scoring from as low as 660 to as high as 730), GMAT prep(ranging from 650 to 740). But dunno what went wrong on the D day. Quant was not that easy. Few questions were tough. I had to guess.
Also in practice tests i used to finish quant 15 mins early and verbal also 10-15 mins early but on the exam day i took me the entire time.
On the contrary in verbal i was falling short of time. Had to hurry in the last. In verbal i didn't get a single BOLDFACED type question. Then itself i realised that i am doing badly.
My only advice would be to be calm on the exam day and do not anticipate your performance just the questions u get. Especially for verbal try in your practice tests to finish exam at least 10 mins before so that on the exam day you utilize the time completely.
Planning to give GMAT again. May be in Jan as now i want to concentrate on other management exams. But would JAN be too late? I plan to apply for Masters IN Management targeting (LSE, Rotterdam,IE,CASS,ESCp,HEC)
Hi Prachi,
When I took my GMAT, even I didn't see any boldface questions and thought I had made a mess of it. Also, the questions looked quite tough. If you are planning to take GMAT again, I would suggest that you go for accuracy for the first 35 min or so. There are bound to be simpler questions later even if you attempt all the initial questions right. So we can always make up the lost time. Just like you, I too used to finish verbal in about 70 mins only to face severe time-crunch in the actual test.

Vipul

GMAT Score:730

by 007.r.mason » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:55 pm
Sravan, I agree with you that a score of 35 on verbal should help improve your score tremendously. I would recommend that you revise MGMAT guides again as these may help in improving your verbal score. Look for a reliable source of fresh questions and track your accuracy improvement.

I am using e-gmat for SC and it has helped me. e-GMAT is great after reading of MGMAT SC guide. You can search for e-GMAT on the forum.

Your overall goal should be accuracy improvement and timing optimization. Also give the exam with an aggressive mindset.
Aim high!!
Achieve excellence!!

by hongwang9703 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:17 pm
i had a similiar experience. All of my practice exams were in the 700 range, yet i scored a 620 today on the Gmat. q42, v34. going to retake in 31 days and will hopefully do better than i did today.

Sucks man.
i got utterly defeated by the gmat.