3 Days to go and I'm psyched!

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

3 Days to go and I'm psyched!

by InkyBinky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:13 am
My test is this Saturday at noon. I just took GMAT Prep Test 2/Attempt 2 and scored 760 (50Q/42V). My GMAT Prep Test 2 first attempt was a month ago and I scored 750 (49Q/44V). Needless to say, this shifts my last-minute apprehension to excitement as I think I'm in a pretty good zone.

Since I think I'm at my quant apogee, I'm going to focus strictly on verbal tonight and tomorrow (I'm taking Friday off), with perhaps a cursory glance at MGMAT's number properties. I missed 6 on the GMAT Prep verbal questions just now and four of them were sentence correction (1 CR and 1 RC), so I think if I focus on refreshing the rules in my head, I might be able to maintain that score or even slightly improve it...I hope.

Does anybody have any last-minute tips? Like maybe a couple shots of whiskey before the test?

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:17 am
Save the whiskey for saturday night, coupled with some shots as well ;) jk..

760 looks pretty good dude. Im sure you'll rock it! Good Luck!!
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:53 am
Don't waste energy on AWA, and don't dwell on earlier questions!
Yep.

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:54 am
uwhusky wrote:Don't waste energy on AWA, and don't dwell on earlier questions!
Is AWA that easy? Or maybe it is for native speakers?
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Legendary Member

by uwhusky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:59 am
I didn't mean to say that AWA is easy, but rather that you should have a clear idea how you are going to write the essays. I recommend approaching AWA almost like approaching a blog, write it leisurely.
Yep.

by InkyBinky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:13 am
uwhusky wrote:I didn't mean to say that AWA is easy, but rather that you should have a clear idea how you are going to write the essays. I recommend approaching AWA almost like approaching a blog, write it leisurely.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I was also planning on applying templates to cut down on any thinking as far as AWA organization goes. Do you think the AWA templates are generally effective?

Official Company Rep
Followed by:9 members

by ChrisBKnewton » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:41 am
Good luck InkyBinky!

If this is your first time taking the test, you might enjoy this article about GMAT test-day, minute by minute, to give you a specific outline of test-day!
Chris Black
Web Content Editor
Knewton

Legendary Member

by uwhusky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:56 am
InkyBinky wrote:
uwhusky wrote:I didn't mean to say that AWA is easy, but rather that you should have a clear idea how you are going to write the essays. I recommend approaching AWA almost like approaching a blog, write it leisurely.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I was also planning on applying templates to cut down on any thinking as far as AWA organization goes. Do you think the AWA templates are generally effective?
Absolutely. I think you'll do fine in AWA if you follow such templates.
Yep.

by InkyBinky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:07 am
ChrisBKnewton wrote:Good luck InkyBinky!

If this is your first time taking the test, you might enjoy this article about GMAT test-day, minute by minute, to give you a specific outline of test-day!
I just read through that. So either verbal or quant can come first? I didn't know that. Every practice test I've taken has quant followed by verbal. Good to know...

Legendary Member

by uwhusky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:08 am
InkyBinky wrote:

I just read through that. So either verbal or quant can come first? I didn't know that. Every practice test I've taken has quant followed by verbal. Good to know...
Wait what, where did you read that? The structure of GMAT is set and everyone gets the same structure.
Yep.

by InkyBinky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:15 am
uwhusky wrote:
InkyBinky wrote:

Wait what, where did you read that? The structure of GMAT is set and everyone gets the same structure.
#8 in the list that he linked above reads "You cannot know which section will come first on the GMAT, but you will have 75 minutes either way."

Is this not the case? I had always assumed that quant came first.

Legendary Member

by uwhusky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:17 am
I don't think so, maybe he meant something else entirely...

https://www.mba.com/mba/thegmat/teststructureandoverview
Yep.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:9 members

by ChrisBKnewton » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:08 pm
Sorry about that - that was an error on our end that was supposed to have been fixed long ago! The quant section DOES always come first.

Again, sorry for the confusion (and once more, good luck on the test!)
Chris Black
Web Content Editor
Knewton

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by The Duke » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:01 pm
Definitely do a shot afterwards for the soilders in the BTG crew.