Trade Embargo

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Trade Embargo

by amma4u » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:35 pm
For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high degree of both international accord and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained. A total blockade of Patria’s ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.

The claims above, if true, most strongly support which of the following conclusions?

(A) The balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in the event of a blockade.
(B) As long as international opinion is unanimously against Patria, a trade embargo is likely to succeed.
(C) A naval blockade of Patria’s ports would ensure that no goods enter or leave Patria.
(D) Any trade embargo against Patria would be likely to fail at some time.
(E) For a blockade of Patria’s ports to be successful, international opinion must be unanimous.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by abhi84v » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:44 pm
IMO D

High degree of intl accord -> successful embargo

unsuccessful embargo -> intl discord

Hence the embargo is likely to fail.

Please post OA

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by saurabhmahajan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:53 am
IMO: A
Thanks and regards,
Saurabh Mahajan

I can understand you not winning,but i will not forgive you for not trying.

by Don Dr8per » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:06 am
I think it's A.

Conclusion is a total blockade to Patria's ports is neccessary but such action would likely cause Int'l discord.

A states balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in the event of a blockade which basically states they would be against the blockade (Int'l discord) as this would not be good for Patria.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by TimeforGMAT » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:48 am
Don Dr8per wrote:I think it's A.

Conclusion is a total blockade to Patria's ports is neccessary but such action would likely cause Int'l discord.

A states balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in the event of a blockade which basically states they would be against the blockade (Int'l discord) as this would not be good for Patria.
I think its C. International discord is likely but not certain where as preventing goods from entering and leaving is a must.

by Don Dr8per » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:48 am
TimeforGMAT wrote:
Don Dr8per wrote:I think it's A.

I think its C. International discord is likely but not certain where as preventing goods from entering and leaving is a must.
I ruled out C because the passage states ,"both international accord and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained."

And at the end of the passage it states there will likely be Int'l discord if there were a blockade. It's clear that both would not be sustained therefore just a blockade would NOT ensure that no goods enter or leave Patria.

by amma4u » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:05 pm
I will post official answer after few more posts.....

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:49 pm
amma4u wrote:For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high degree of both international accord and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained. A total blockade of Patria’s ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.

The claims above, if true, most strongly support which of the following conclusions?

(A) The balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in the event of a blockade.
(B) As long as international opinion is unanimously against Patria, a trade embargo is likely to succeed.
(C) A naval blockade of Patria’s ports would ensure that no goods enter or leave Patria.
(D) Any trade embargo against Patria would be likely to fail at some time.
(E) For a blockade of Patria’s ports to be successful, international opinion must be unanimous.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/1000-cr-test ... t2142.html

by rajesh.chaudhary » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:32 am
D makes sense.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by ankurmit » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:52 am
IMO D
--------
Ankur mittal