Is Business school right for me???

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is Business school right for me???

by lsommer28 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:36 pm
For the past couple years I have been thinking about getting an MBA (I am now 28). I graduated with a BS in Biology and Minors in Chemistry and Physics. My overall GPA was a 3.0; however I achieved a 3.98 during my last 4 semesters. Following college I attended a USNEWS top 15 school and earned my MS in Biomedical Engineering, in which my curriculum followed the MD/PhD track (GPA 3.4). Following my completion of graduate school I took a job with Merrill lynch. I worked for Merrill up until they were purchased by BofA. I left Merrill after 9 months because I did not enjoy what I was doing. Subsequent to ML I knew I wanted to go back to science. I was recruited by two renowned Neurobiologists and offered a faculty position at a state university at which I am currently presiding. I recently took the GMAT and received a 700 (V37, Q48).
I am very interested in scientific venture capital and I have also been contemplating setting up my own biotech firm. I am interested in applying to a top business school that has a program that suits the goals I have. Do I have any chance of gaining admission to a top 10 school?
The professor I currently work for is an alumnus of Stanford and UPenn and the MD/PhD student I recently mentored is an alumnus of Stanford. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you and I appreciate your time.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:27 pm
Dear lsommer28 -

First of all - apologies for my slow reply - I drafted a response and thought I sent it, but I guess I did not!

Kudos to you for all of your scientific and engineering successes academically. I have worked with several candidates who have parlayed a PhD. track into gaining acceptance at highly-ranked business schools. ALL of them had clear long-term goals that would benefit from robust business and managerial training.

You mention not having enjoyed your experience at Merrill Lynch and subsequently knowing you "wanted to go back to science". I am afraid that this short nine-month stint at Merrill and your return to academia might raise questions with an Admissions Committee about your "fit" in business school. Be sure to understand this for yourself before you apply.

Also, is there anyone from Merrill who could write a recommendation on your behalf? While the professors you work with hail from well-regarded schools, be sure they can talk about you in settings that are relevant to the criteria Admissions Committee typically care to hear about. When have you led a team? Managed a project/budget/strategic imperative for your organization? How are you a leader? Etc.

In short, you certainly have a shot at business school, but you must refine your story and be clear about WHY an MBA
makes sense for you. Said another way, why can you not pursue VC without an MBA? If you can have a clear answer for this question, you will go a long way in making your case for admission to business schools.
Good luck,
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process