simple one

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member

simple one

by goyalsau » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:58 pm
HI! Friends ,
I am posting a question which is very easy in comparison to the questions that are posted over here, But I have a doubt and still not able to figure it out why that particular answer is correct.
Its something related to my concepts and its very important to have right concept as your back strength before going for a killing score of 700+. I would request you guys to please mention your explanation with the answer so I can correct myself and will not repeat the mistake in future.

The Sandersons must be planning to sell their house on Lincoln Place, since they visited the office of the local real state agent yesterday.

Which of the following states the conclusion of the argument above?

(A) The Sandersons visited the office of the local real estate agent yesterday.
(B) The Sandersons want to sell their house on Lincoln Place.
(C) The local real estate agent will be handling the sale of the Sanderson's Place.
(D) The sandersons own a house on Lincoln place.
(E) The local real estate agent could assist the Sandersons in selling their house on Lincoln Place.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:11 pm
I agree
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:22 pm
You should also provide reasoning for your choice, so perhaps we can discuss what the underlying confusion is.

Premise: since they visited the office of the local real state agent yesterday.
Conclusion: The Sandersons must be planning to sell their house on Lincoln Place.

A/C/E are out of scope, D is a supporting fact, but not the conclusion.

B paraphrases the conclusion above, so B must be the answer.

Legendary Member

by goyalsau » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:21 am
Thanks Uwhusky,

I am confused with D, as D says " The sandersons own a house on Lincoln place. " , As per premise they visited the office of the local real state agent yesterday, But may be for any other reason they visited the office of local real state agent.

As per my knowledge we are not allowed to go beyond than what is written in the stimulus . So How can we conclude that they want to sell the house...

I will welcome all the suggestion on this.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:56 am
What you're doing is "weakening" the argument by suggesting that the Sandersons might have other reasons to visit a real estate agent. It's good that you can identify how a weakening the argument scenario works, but for this question which is identifying the conclusion, you have to stick with what the stimulus provides.