jurors enquiry

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

jurors enquiry

by arora007 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:42 am
In interviews with jurors inquiring how they arrived at their verdicts, researchers found that 40% of the references jurors made were to factors that had not been included in courtroom testimony. to improve the jury system, the researchers suggested that judges give instructions to the jury at the beginning of a trial rather than at the end. they argued that this would permit jurors to concentrate on the most relevant evidence rather than filling in gaps with their own assumptions, which have little to do with the legality of a case.

question: the answer to which of the following questions is LEAST directly relevant to evaluating the researchers' suggestion above?

A. is it possible for a judge to instruct a jury at the end of a trial in such a way that jurors will disregard any irrelevant factors that had been using to weigh the evidence?

B.will a jury that hears a judge's instruction at the beginning of a trial be able to weigh the evidence accordingly once that evidence has actually been presented?

C.will having judges give instructions at the beginning of a trial rather than at the end significantly alter the customary procedures employed by the judicial system?

D. when jurors are queried as to how they arrived at their verdicts, does their interpretation of their decision-making process include many references to factors that were not, in fact, influential?

E. if jurors hear the judge's instructions at the beginning of a trial, what percentage of the factors that influence their decisions will be matters that were not presented in the evidence?

Source Kaplan CD companion test 2

OA C

While reading this question i somehow got so lost... and the answer choices did not help either.
Eventually after understanding nothing i gave up and got the answer wrong...and lost precious 4:38 minutes,
how can one address such a situation?
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by kmittal82 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:03 am
I can totally understand what you are saying, the question is pretty taxing and its easy to get lost in the words. The best way I hv found is to write down the key points in some shorthand notation

jurors make ref. to factors not in testimony -> judge should tell them at the beginning of the trial not to do so instead of telling them at the end -> this way jurors will know right from the beginning to concentrate only on relevant factors presented in the testimony -> helps improve judicial system.

In the analysis, (C) highlights a more "general" point i.e. "customary procedures" of the judicial system. The passage doesn't talk about said procedures, it only talks about one of the aspects of it, hence (C) seems the most irrelevant.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by adi_800 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:32 am
I am between A and C.
Cany anyone tell how A is not relevant?

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:27 pm
Arora, I completely understand you pain. In such questions I usually follow one trick. Ask Yes and No question to each option. For the relevant answer you must get an answer by Yes and No. If you don't then it is irreleaent option. Let's analyze.
arora007 wrote:In interviews with jurors inquiring how they arrived at their verdicts, researchers found that 40% of the references jurors made were to factors that had not been included in courtroom testimony. to improve the jury system, the researchers suggested that judges give instructions to the jury at the beginning of a trial rather than at the end. they argued that this would permit jurors to concentrate on the most relevant evidence rather than filling in gaps with their own assumptions, which have little to do with the legality of a case.

question: the answer to which of the following questions is LEAST directly relevant to evaluating the researchers' suggestion above?

A. is it possible for a judge to instruct a jury at the end of a trial in such a way that jurors will disregard any irrelevant factors that had been using to weigh the evidence? -
Yes - researchers suggestion will be helpful
No - researchers suggestion will not be helpful

B.will a jury that hears a judge's instruction at the beginning of a trial be able to weigh the evidence accordingly once that evidence has actually been presented?
Yes - It will help a lot to Jury, researchers suggestion will be helpful
No - It will not help to Jury, researchers suggestion will not be helpful

C.will having judges give instructions at the beginning of a trial rather than at the end significantly alter the customary procedures employed by the judicial system?
Yes - Judicial system will be altered. What is the impact on the researchers suggestion? This is not helping to conclusion
No - Judicial system will not be altered. What is the impact on the researchers suggestion? This is not helping to conclusion

D. when jurors are queried as to how they arrived at their verdicts, does their interpretation of their decision-making process include many references to factors that were not, in fact, influential?
Yes - If their references are based on non-influential factors, then researchers suggestion is helpful
No - If their references are not based on non-influential factors, then researchers suggestion is required

E. if jurors hear the judge's instructions at the beginning of a trial, what percentage of the factors that influence their decisions will be matters that were not presented in the evidence?
Yes - If % is more then researchers need to suggest
No - if % is less then researchers need not to suggest

Source Kaplan CD companion test 2

OA C

While reading this question i somehow got so lost... and the answer choices did not help either.
Eventually after understanding nothing i gave up and got the answer wrong...and lost precious 4:38 minutes,
how can one address such a situation?
By looking at each yes and no question we conclude that C is irrelevant.
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by debmalya_dutta » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:42 pm
adi_800 wrote:I am between A and C.
Cany anyone tell how A is not relevant?
A. is it possible for a judge to instruct a jury at the end of a trial in such a way that jurors will disregard any irrelevant factors that had been using to weigh the evidence?

@adi

The question was -
The suggestion was - to improve the jury system, the researchers suggested that judges give instructions to the jury at the beginning of a trial rather than at the end

Obviously , if instructing a jury at the end of a trial in such a way that jurors will disregard any irrelevant factors is possible, then the researcher's suggestion is invalidated .
Hence the answer to this question obviously is relevant to evaluating the researchers' suggestion

Legendary Member

by diebeatsthegmat » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:02 pm
kmittal82 wrote:I can totally understand what you are saying, the question is pretty taxing and its easy to get lost in the words. The best way I hv found is to write down the key points in some shorthand notation

jurors make ref. to factors not in testimony -> judge should tell them at the beginning of the trial not to do so instead of telling them at the end -> this way jurors will know right from the beginning to concentrate only on relevant factors presented in the testimony -> helps improve judicial system.

In the analysis, (C) highlights a more "general" point i.e. "customary procedures" of the judicial system. The passage doesn't talk about said procedures, it only talks about one of the aspects of it, hence (C) seems the most irrelevant.
hey, may i ask you a question?
you said you like writing down key words to understand the whole CR, how long does it take you to write down em? it took meat least 2 mins to write down those word you did from jurors made ref. to judicial system. while we just allow to do the CR in 1 min and 15 seconds....:(

by kmittal82 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:58 am
diebeatsthegmat wrote:
kmittal82 wrote:I can totally understand what you are saying, the question is pretty taxing and its easy to get lost in the words. The best way I hv found is to write down the key points in some shorthand notation

hey, may i ask you a question?
you said you like writing down key words to understand the whole CR, how long does it take you to write down em? it took meat least 2 mins to write down those word you did from jurors made ref. to judicial system. while we just allow to do the CR in 1 min and 15 seconds....:(
Speed comes from practice alone, and ofcourse keywords for some questions will be harder to form than the others :)