AWA: Time to be spent

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

AWA: Time to be spent

by rkhicha » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:08 pm
Hey guys,

D-day is close for me. To be exact, its on 15th September.

Have read 'tales' of a few test-takers who aimed to complete the Analysis of Issue / Argument in under 15 minutes.

I was wondering, How much time should you ideally be spending on the AWA section on test day?

Thanks. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by outreach » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:46 am
it depends on individual
most of the people use the format(key in the keywords)..if u feel u r done with ur essay then u can move on
i used all 20 minutes in my AWA9(writing ,reviewing)
-------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
General blog
https://amarnaik.wordpress.com
MBA blog
https://amarrnaik.blocked/

Official Company Rep
Followed by:9 members

by ChrisBKnewton » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:42 am
Hi rkhicha,

It definitely does depend on the individual.

What would be your reason for aiming to complete the AWA in 15 minutes rather than the 30 minutes allotted? If you're concerned about burning out before the Math and Writing sections, don't worry. It's highly unlikely that spending 15 extra minutes on the AWA will make much of a difference in this sense. Plus, trying to finish the AWA in 15 minutes would likely just stress you out... and that's certainly not the state of mind you want to be in going into the test!

Pace yourself and plan to make full use of the time allotted.

In general, try to divide your time something like this:

First 3-5 minutes: Read the topic carefully and brainstorm on your scrap paper. Throw as many ideas as you can onto the paper for the first minute or so, then start narrowing down your main argument. Circle or write down the points that will support your thesis. This will serve as your outline and help you structure your essay.

Next 15-20 minutes: Write! Try to pace yourself, and be sure that each paragraph that follows your introduction relates to and supports your introduction and main idea.

Next 5 minutes: Proofread! Look out for grammatical errors and/or logical inconsistencies. Make any necessary changes.

Any additional time: Give yourself a second to stretch. Look away from the computer screen and blink a few times. Then, look over your essay again with "fresh" eyes. Look for proofreading errors again. Add in transition words between paragraphs if you don't have them already. Make sure your introduction, supporting paragraphs, and conclusion all work together. That said, DON'T try to completely change your essay... you don't want to run out of time! Make all the small changes you can, then call it a day.

If you complete all these steps and still finish early, feel free to move on!
Chris Black
Web Content Editor
Knewton