Admissions Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Admissions Evaluation

by g_carrico1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:12 am
Hi,

I would like to have my profile evaluated. I am applying to Harvard, MIT, Berkeley, and Columbia. Thank you very much in advance.

GMAT: 700 (Q-45, V-40)
I received A's in Calculus 408c & 408d, Physics 301, Chemistry 301 & 302 as a engineering student at the University of Texas before I transferred to business. I only add this because I intend on noting in my application somewhere that I have a track record of success taking difficult quantitative coursework at a quality institution. Hopefully this will alleviate any fears about my low quant score.

College:
University of Texas - McCombs School of Business
Major: Finance Minor: Marketing
GPA: 3.38

I worked part-time throughout college including while I was rowing, and paid for more than 75% of my education through work, loans, and credit cards(paid off now).

Activities:
Texas Crew Rower - won medals at many races including a 4th place finish at the 2003 Head of the Charles (we got a medal because top 10% get medals and there were 40 boats in the race)

Founded a student service organization - "Texas Crew Little Sisters" - recruited 60 members raised $5000.

Post graduate activities... Elementary School Mentor

Work Experience: 68 months

E&J Gallo Winery - Management Development Program

Started as a sales representative in San Antonio. Promoted to Manager in Houston (managed 6 sales representatives). Promoted to analyst in Modesto, California. Promoted to Category Manager in Phoenix. Promoted to Project Analyst in Phoenix.

Gallo has a unique distributor network. While under the Gallo "umbrella" I have worked for 4 different companies (3 wine distributors and Gallo) while climbing the ladder in the previously mentioned positions. I intend on highlighting my ability to succeed in uncertain circumstances in my application.

Goal: Attain the skills necessary to reach the highest level of upper management at one of the top 5 companies in the alcohol beverage industry. Upon exiting the program I intend on continuing my career at Gallo in a strategic Finance position.

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:33 am
You have a strong profile and should be able to put together an excellent application. Your stats are in range for the top schools and you have an interesting work background. Having earned your college expenses while keeping up a solid GPA and rowing will serve you well as will having founded an organization. Your Gallo experience, especially the sales aspect, should be an appealing contrast to the work profiles of all the ibankers who will apply.

You are definitely pointing in the right direction with your comments on your application essays. You have a clear, logical career goal that relates to your background. Schools should also find your specific industry of interest. They are looking for diverse perspectives and have way too many applicants from high-tech and finance industries and comparatively few who deal with consumer products. That provides you with insights that the finance wonks can't bring.

(By the way, 45 is not a "low" quant score, particularly given the rest of your background. Don't make an issue of it on your application. School's don't start to worry about that specific score until it approaches 50th%ile. at 77th, you are well within range. That doesn't mean you can't emphasize taking challenging courses.)

As always, I have to add the disclaimer that the schools on your list are NEVER a slam dunk. No matter how strong or interesting you are, there are literally thousands of equally strong and interesting applicants, the vast majority of whom could handle the classroom work. You will need to have sparkling essays and recommendations and even those will be no guarantee. Decisions are often hard to explain. I know of one individual who applied to all of the top ten schools - got turned down at nine and got into Harvard. If you are determined to go next year, you should add one or more safety schools. There are many excellent schools that would prepare you well for your career that are ranked a notch or two lower.

You have an excellent foundation. A seasoned admissions consultant can help you put together an application that will speak to the admissions committee.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff