very weak in verbal

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

very weak in verbal

by bushra » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:32 pm
Hi all

i have given GMAT last week...got 570...q42/v27...my verbal is really bad...and worst part is i dont know how to improve it...i have read princeton, kaplan, OG...but they are not helping...as far as my english is concerned i dont have problem with that...for AWA i got 5.5...but when it comes to RC and SC i am all out....please advice me what i should do now...my next test is on jan 18...

bushra

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: very weak in verbal

by beatthegmat » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:37 pm
bushra wrote:Hi all

i have given GMAT last week...got 570...q42/v27...my verbal is really bad...and worst part is i dont know how to improve it...i have read princeton, kaplan, OG...but they are not helping...as far as my english is concerned i dont have problem with that...for AWA i got 5.5...but when it comes to RC and SC i am all out....please advice me what i should do now...my next test is on jan 18...

bushra
Can you describe your prep some more, beyond the materials you've used? Have you been keeping error logs of your performance and systematically identifying your weaknesses? Can you point to specific subjects that are causing your problems (exampe: idioms in SC).

If SC is a big issue for you, I highly recommend getting the Manhattan GMAT SC book--it's the best on the market. Check out the book recommendation here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/books.html
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nislam » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:43 pm
I found myself to be in the same position. Although I haven't given the actual test but after a couple of diagnostic tests I found myself weak in RC and SC (ironically I'm from Canada too).

I strongly recommend the MGMAT guides (for SC and RC). Although you need to be at a certain level before, the guides certainly help break down the test and help identify weaknesses within a section e.g. SC. I found myself weak in parallelism and modifiers.

For SC I suggest going through each chapter, doing the OG Q's at the end of the chapter. I used to do all questions from one chapter and then go back and look at answers. I suggest doing one question at a time i.e. solve the question, read answer to determine why you got it wrong, were you able to narrow down to two or three choices, what is wrong with the answer choices and make notes. I starting to see some improvements with this method.

I haven't got to RC yet so I can't advise there.