Flawed Reasoning - LSAT

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

Flawed Reasoning - LSAT

by reply2spg » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:50 pm
Democracy is the best form of government yet created. Therefore, we must be vigilant in its defense; that is, we must be prepared to defend the right to freedom. Because this right is fundamental to any progressive form of government, it is clear that democracy is better than any other form of government.

Which one of the following illustrates the same flawed reasoning as found in the passage?

(A) I never get a headache when I eat only Chinese food, nor when I drink only wine. But when I eat Chinese food and drink wine, I get a headache. So the combination of the two must be the cause of my headaches.

(B) The two times I have gone to that restaurant something bad has happened. The first time the waiter dropped a glass and it shattered all over the table. And after the second time I went there, I got sick. So why should I go there again--something bad will just happen again.

(C) I would much rather live a life dedicated to helping my fellow man than one dedicated to gaining material possessions and seeing my fellow man as a competitor. At the end of each day, the satisfaction of having helped people is infinitely greater than the satisfaction of having achieved something material.

(D) I'm obsessed with volleyball; that's why I play it constantly. I train seven days a week, and I enter every tournament. Since I'm always playing it, I must be obsessed with it.

(E) In my academic studies, I have repeatedly changed majors. I decide to major in each new subject that I'm introduced to. Just as a bee lights from one flower to the next, tasting the nectar of each, I jump from one subject to the next getting just a taste of each.

OA Later
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by sirisha.g » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:40 pm
IMO D

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:00 pm
OA D
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:710

by Maciek » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:08 am
Is it begging the question?

can you explain?

Best,
Maciek
"There is no greater wealth in a nation than that of being made up of learned citizens." Pope John Paul II

if you have any questions, send me a private message!

should you find this post useful, please click on "thanks" button :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:28 am
reply2spg wrote:Democracy is the best form of government yet created. Therefore, we must be vigilant in its defense; that is, we must be prepared to defend the right to freedom. Because this right is fundamental to any progressive form of government, it is clear that democracy is better than any other form of government.

Which one of the following illustrates the same flawed reasoning as found in the passage?

(A) I never get a headache when I eat only Chinese food, nor when I drink only wine. But when I eat Chinese food and drink wine, I get a headache. So the combination of the two must be the cause of my headaches.

(B) The two times I have gone to that restaurant something bad has happened. The first time the waiter dropped a glass and it shattered all over the table. And after the second time I went there, I got sick. So why should I go there again--something bad will just happen again.

(C) I would much rather live a life dedicated to helping my fellow man than one dedicated to gaining material possessions and seeing my fellow man as a competitor. At the end of each day, the satisfaction of having helped people is infinitely greater than the satisfaction of having achieved something material.

(D) I'm obsessed with volleyball; that's why I play it constantly. I train seven days a week, and I enter every tournament. Since I'm always playing it, I must be obsessed with it.

(E) In my academic studies, I have repeatedly changed majors. I decide to major in each new subject that I'm introduced to. Just as a bee lights from one flower to the next, tasting the nectar of each, I jump from one subject to the next getting just a taste of each.

OA Later
honestly, i am not very a big fan of this kind of argument , ( parellel or finding the same flaw argument kind) because i have never seen any questions like this in verbal test....so i dont want to practice it

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by norizam » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:05 am
reply2spg wrote:Democracy is the best form of government yet created. Therefore, we must be vigilant in its defense; that is, we must be prepared to defend the right to freedom. Because this right is fundamental to any progressive form of government, it is clear that democracy is better than any other form of government.

OA Later
I chose D because it looks like something that is going around and around in a circular fashion:
I'm obsessed with volleyball; that's why I play it constantly.Since I'm always playing it, I must be obsessed with it.

Democracy is the best form of government yet created. Therefore we must be prepared to defend the right to freedom. Because this right is fundamental to any progressive form of government, it is clear that democracy is better than any other form of government.