a question from 300CR's

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

a question from 300CR's

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:12 am
To avoid economic collapse, Russia must increase its GNP by 20%. However, due to the structure of its economy, if the 20% threshold is reached, then a 40% increase in GNP is achievable.
Assuming that the above statements are true, which one of the following must also be true?
(A) If ethnic strife continues in Russia, then a 20% increase in GNP will be unattainable.
(B) If a 40% increase in Russia's GNP is impossible, its economy will collapse.
(C) If Russia's GNP increases by 40%, its economy will not collapse.
(D) If the 20% threshold is reached, then a 40% increase in GNP is achievable and a 60% increase is probable.
(E) If Russia's economy collapses, then it will not have increased its GNP by 40%.

Please explain why C is incorrect and the correct ans?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:13 am
the right asnwer is B because if russia doesn't reach 20% it WILL collapse and if it reaches 20% then 40% is possible. therefore if 40% is impossible then they must not have reached the 20% which means the economy will collapse.

C is incorrect to prevent the economy from collapse it should reach 20 % not 40 %.

its an old question please search in the forum
A SMALL TOWN GUY

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by saurabhmahajan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:06 am
I too went for C becoz If Russia's GNP increases by 40% that means it has crossed the 20% threshold.
But if a 40% increase in Russia's GNP is impossible,its economy will collapse...but here it might be the case that it has crossed 20% mark but failed to reach 40% mark (since its said "is achievable" and not "achieved").

But the result is i am wrong :-(
Thanks and regards,
Saurabh Mahajan

I can understand you not winning,but i will not forgive you for not trying.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:37 pm
[email protected] wrote:To avoid economic collapse, Russia must increase its GNP by 20%. However, due to the structure of its economy, if the 20% threshold is reached, then a 40% increase in GNP is achievable.
Assuming that the above statements are true, which one of the following must also be true?
(A) If ethnic strife continues in Russia, then a 20% increase in GNP will be unattainable.
(B) If a 40% increase in Russia's GNP is impossible, its economy will collapse.
(C) If Russia's GNP increases by 40%, its economy will not collapse.
(D) If the 20% threshold is reached, then a 40% increase in GNP is achievable and a 60% increase is probable.
(E) If Russia's economy collapses, then it will not have increased its GNP by 40%.

Please explain why C is incorrect and the correct ans?
goes for B

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by iLdern » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:31 am
I think the reason C is wrong is because it is possible for the economy to fail even though they pass 40 % growth.