knewton-CR -10

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

knewton-CR -10

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:58 am
Teachers recommend that students in the lower grades bring brightly colored backpacks to school. They justify this recommendation by claiming that brightly colored backpacks are easier to see, and thus more difficult for young students to lose.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the teachers' recommendation?

A Students with poor vision report lost backpacks more often than students with perfect vision.
B Most students who lose their backpacks claim that it is because they took the wrong backpack by mistake.
C Most of the backpacks in the lost-and-found at elementary schools are dark-colored.
D Bright-colored backpacks tend to sell better than dark-colored backpacks.
E Studies show that young students are less likely to leave behind bright-colored objects.
A SMALL TOWN GUY

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by sirisha.g » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:16 am
IMO B

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:34 am
no srisha think again
A SMALL TOWN GUY

by sirisha.g » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:24 am
what is the OA? A?

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:07 am
IMO E on this.
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by debmalya_dutta » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:12 am
My pick is E
@Deb

by abhigang » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:18 am
pradeepkaushal9518 wrote:Teachers recommend that students in the lower grades bring brightly colored backpacks to school. They justify this recommendation by claiming that brightly colored backpacks are easier to see, and thus more difficult for young students to lose.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the teachers' recommendation?

A Students with poor vision report lost backpacks more often than students with perfect vision.
B Most students who lose their backpacks claim that it is because they took the wrong backpack by mistake.
C Most of the backpacks in the lost-and-found at elementary schools are dark-colored.
D Bright-colored backpacks tend to sell better than dark-colored backpacks.
E Studies show that young students are less likely to leave behind bright-colored objects.
IMO E.

There are a couple of reasons behind.
1. Only this option talks about young students. Hence scope is not lost.
2. This is a strengthener to the teacher's recommendation.

by sirisha.g » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:22 am
hey guys, could you'll explain in detail. I picked B first, which was a mistake committed due to improper reading. But after reading again, i got stuck between A and E. why are you'll ruling out A

Legendary Member

by reply2spg » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:44 am
Ok.

A talks about the Students with poor vision. If students have poor vision then they will miss brightly colored backpacks as well as dark bags. nowhere it says that poor vision students are missing more dark colored bag than missing bright colored bags. In that way this will not strengthen the plan.

Hope this will help!!!

sirisha.g wrote:hey guys, could you'll explain in detail. I picked B first, which was a mistake committed due to improper reading. But after reading again, i got stuck between A and E. why are you'll ruling out A
Sudhanshu

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jaiti » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:46 am
I am wondering if all of you are maybe wrong on this one. Number one rule for streghtening an argument is to bring something new to the passage, remove another possibility per say. Here C does that exactly. If the bookbags in lost and found were mostly bright colored the teacher's argument would fall apart. However since most of the bookbags lost are dark colored, we removed a possibility of another event occuring, therefore strenghtening an argument.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:53 am
jaiti wrote:I am wondering if all of you are maybe wrong on this one. Number one rule for streghtening an argument is to bring something new to the passage, remove another possibility per say. Here C does that exactly. If the bookbags in lost and found were mostly bright colored the teacher's argument would fall apart. However since most of the bookbags lost are dark colored, we removed a possibility of another event occuring, therefore strenghtening an argument.
I was contemplating between C and E myself.
But I eliminated C because even though it says that most of the lost bags are grey in color, we can't assume that had these bags been bright colored they won't have been lost by the kids. E on the other hand is that assumption that brighter colored bags are harder to lose by young kids. So I'd go for E.
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

by jaiti » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:07 am
beatthegmatinsept wrote:
jaiti wrote:I am wondering if all of you are maybe wrong on this one. Number one rule for streghtening an argument is to bring something new to the passage, remove another possibility per say. Here C does that exactly. If the bookbags in lost and found were mostly bright colored the teacher's argument would fall apart. However since most of the bookbags lost are dark colored, we removed a possibility of another event occuring, therefore strenghtening an argument.
But I eliminated C because even though it says that most of the lost bags are grey in color, we can't assume that had these bags been bright colored they won't have been lost by the kids. E on the other hand is that assumption that brighter colored bags are harder to lose by young kids. So I'd go for E.
Ok. Then let me ask you this. If the option C said that most of the bookbags lost were bright colored wouldn't that make teachers argument fall apart. Teacher says that the bags should be bright colored in order for kids not to lose them. If C weren't true it would cause the teachers argument to fall apart a lot more then, E in which "studies" and "objects" are listed. I could be wrong very well though. Why doesn't the OP post the OA so that we can all see.

Legendary Member

by reply2spg » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:40 am
I do not agree with you on this. C says number of things, which are not clear.

1. It says backpacks in the lost-and-found at elementary schools are dark-colored - how can you make out that only lower grade students are missing their bags?
2. Passage does not talk about whether it is elementry school, graduate school or kinder garten? But C is limiting us only to elementry school.

These 2 issues are unanswered, therefore, I don't think C is correct.

Can we have OA for this.
jaiti wrote:
beatthegmatinsept wrote:
Ok. Then let me ask you this. If the option C said that most of the bookbags lost were bright colored wouldn't that make teachers argument fall apart. Teacher says that the bags should be bright colored in order for kids not to lose them. If C weren't true it would cause the teachers argument to fall apart a lot more then, E in which "studies" and "objects" are listed. I could be wrong very well though. Why doesn't the OP post the OA so that we can all see.
Sudhanshu

by jaiti » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:48 am
reply2spg wrote:I do not agree with you on this. C says number of things, which are not clear.

1. It says backpacks in the lost-and-found at elementary schools are dark-colored - how can you make out that only lower grade students are missing their bags?
2. Passage does not talk about whether it is elementry school, graduate school or kinder garten? But C is limiting us only to elementry school.

Can we have OA for this.

jaiti wrote:
beatthegmatinsept wrote:

I don't think that lower grades can refer to anything but elementary schools. Kindergartners and 1-6 grades go to the same school. You think that "studies" and "objects" and "young students" in E are clearer?

Legendary Member

by reply2spg » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:52 am
you answered me number 2 issue, what about number 1 issue?

ok agree that Kindergartners and 1-6 grades goes to elementry school. By looking at C how can you tell for sure that 6th grade students are not loosing dark colored bags in school?
jaiti wrote:
reply2spg wrote:I do not agree with you on this. C says number of things, which are not clear.

Can we have OA for this.

jaiti wrote:
beatthegmatinsept wrote:

I don't think that lower grades can refer to anything but elementary schools. Kindergartners and 1-6 grades go to the same school. You think that "studies" and "objects" and "young students" in E are clearer?
Sudhanshu