News commentator

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

News commentator

by kvcpk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:57 am
News commentator: "Our police commissioner announced a plan to dismantle manned surveillance video cameras throughout the city, because most man-hours spent observing them end up wasted because no crimes occur there. Most residents now have cell phones or access to public phones, so video cameras are no longer needed, says the police commissioner. However, the biggest risk of crime is in the Warehouse District, where there are not many residents or public phones, so some video cameras are still needed."

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
A. It costs over five million dollars annually for the city to pay policemen to monitor video cameras.
B. Warehouses have automatic motion-detecting video cameras, which send an alarm to the police department.
C. Due to most video cameras' limited scope and quality, the police will receive less information from video cameras than from phone calls.
D. The police department is much nearer to residential areas than to the warehouse areas.
E. An average of one in five public phones does not work.

OA Later
"Once you start working on something,
don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it.
People who work sincerely are the happiest."
Chanakya quotes (Indian politician, strategist and writer, 350 BC-275BC)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:02 am
IMO B.
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Legendary Member

by selango » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:06 am
[spoiler]IMO B

Since the warehouse has the auto detection cameras there is no need to installing cameras there.[/spoiler]
--Anand--

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ankita227 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:12 pm
I think the answer should be C.

Since it is talking about the limited capabilities of the video camera, it weakens the argument that video cameras are a necessity in the warehouses.

On the other hand option B highlights the usefulness of video camera, in turn supporting the argument in the question.

Let me know your thoughts on it.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:15 pm
kvcpk wrote:News commentator: "Our police commissioner announced a plan to dismantle manned surveillance video cameras throughout the city, because most man-hours spent observing them end up wasted because no crimes occur there. Most residents now have cell phones or access to public phones, so video cameras are no longer needed, says the police commissioner. However, the biggest risk of crime is in the Warehouse District, where there are not many residents or public phones, so some video cameras are still needed."

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
A. It costs over five million dollars annually for the city to pay policemen to monitor video cameras.
B. Warehouses have automatic motion-detecting video cameras, which send an alarm to the police department.
C. Due to most video cameras' limited scope and quality, the police will receive less information from video cameras than from phone calls.
D. The police department is much nearer to residential areas than to the warehouse areas.
E. An average of one in five public phones does not work.

OA Later
B?

Legendary Member

by kvcpk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:18 pm
OA B

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ankita227 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:21 pm
Missed the manned surveillance part. Yes, the answer should be B.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ssp » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:07 pm
What is the source of this problem?

My question to the BTG community is : are questions like these even helpful or useful? This is the worst revision I have ever seen of an official problem. Check out OG 12 CR #109

Legendary Member

by kvcpk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:38 pm
ssp wrote:What is the source of this problem?

My question to the BTG community is : are questions like these even helpful or useful? This is the worst revision I have ever seen of an official problem. Check out OG 12 CR #109
Source is Grockit. Grockit has paraphrased versions of Official Questions. This could have been one of those.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ssp » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:45 pm
Hmm...I see!