CR Speed

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

CR Speed

by skalevar » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:50 pm
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips on increasing CR speed.

I just completed 13 questions from OG in 33 minutes (Day 31 of the 60-day study guide) and got 12 right, but obviously this pace is way too slow.

I am:
- reading the question first
- then the argument
- diagramming the conclusion, premises (following the MGMAT method)

I find that I am re-reading answer choices, but sometimes it seems necessary as I'm not sure some are incorrect on the first pass through.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks a lot.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:53 pm
skalevar wrote:Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips on increasing CR speed.

I just completed 13 questions from OG in 33 minutes (Day 31 of the 60-day study guide) and got 12 right, but obviously this pace is way too slow.

I am:
- reading the question first
- then the argument
- diagramming the conclusion, premises (following the MGMAT method)

I find that I am re-reading answer choices, but sometimes it seems necessary as I'm not sure some are incorrect on the first pass through.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks a lot.
I started diagramming too, using the MGMAT approach, but realized it was taking me longer to figure out what goes where while doing that. Instead, I have started to just make quick notes while reading the arguement. I usually only read it once, cuz when i make notes it helps me grasp the key points better and after the first read I jump straight to the answer choices. I am usually able to eliminate all except the final 2, which is when I go back and re-read the question asked and the answer choices.
I have been able to solve 15 questions in about 25 mins typically.
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.