Deep-sea divers

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Deep-sea divers

by er_priyankajolly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:10 am
Not only do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet, but they also fall prey to decompression sickness, commonly known as the "bends", if they ascend too quickly.

a] Not only do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet, but
b] Deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet, but
c] Nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", is risked by deep-sea divers if they descend below 200 feet, in addition
d] Descending below 200 feet causes deep-sea divers to risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep" and
e] Not only does a deep-sea diver risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet, but

OA A

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by kvcpk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:15 am
IMO A

", in addition " in C makes it a run on sentence.
But in B makes it awkward. AND inplace of it would have been better.
D looks awkward and in E "they" doesnt refer clearly.
Last edited by kvcpk on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

by er_priyankajolly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:19 am
kvcpk wrote:IMO A
Explain ur choice please

Legendary Member

by kvcpk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:20 am
er_priyankajolly wrote:
Explain ur choice please
Edited my post with short explanation. Please check!!

by er_priyankajolly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:28 am

Why "but" in B is awkward

Legendary Member

by kvcpk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:39 am
"often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet,"

These two phrases are just support phrases to the sentence. Let us remove them and read B option.

Deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, but they also fall prey to decompression sickness, commonly known as the "bends", if they ascend too quickly.

But is used when there is a complementing phrase before or after it. As we see here but is unnecessary and can be replaced with and to maintain the meaning of the sentence.

Hope this helps!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by missionGMAT007 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:06 am

Can you please tell why D is awkward?
isn't that 'Not only.... but they also'' is not parallel?

Legendary Member

by kvcpk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:37 am
missionGMAT007 wrote:

Can you please tell why D is awkward?
isn't that 'Not only.... but they also'' is not parallel?
in D, " nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep" "

"raptures of the deep" is not clear whether it is referring to divers or nitrogen narcosis.

Also, I believe that the phrase "causes deep-sea divers to risk " is awkward construction.

Moreover, "Descending below 200 feet causes deep-sea divers to risk nitrogen narcosis" - it is not clear on nitrogen narcosis is at risk or divers are at risk.

Hope this helps!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ngoebel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:56 am
I'm a bit confused by one aspect of this sentence.

The sentence uses "not only....but (pronoun) also;" is this acceptable usage of the conjunction? I was under the impression that "not only...but also" was required without the pronoun.

The sentence could then be "not only...but also they..." although not in the any of the answer choices, but maybe it should be written differently.

Could someone please help?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ashua12 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:57 am
what is OA?

Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by mohit11 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:28 am
Not only do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet, but they also fall prey to decompression sickness, commonly known as the "bends", if they ascend too quickly.

a] Not only do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet, but
b] Deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet, but
c] Nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", is risked by deep-sea divers if they descend below 200 feet, in addition
d] Descending below 200 feet causes deep-sea divers to risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep" and
e] Not only does a deep-sea diver risk nitrogen narcosis, often called "raptures of the deep", if they descend below 200 feet, but

Hi Priyanka, The reason why this question is troubling you is that you've learned along the way that the correct usage is "not only ...but also.." (additional knowledge: not X but Y and not only x but also Y are conjunctions. we use conjunctions when we want to connect things that are linguistically equal)

However, on GMAT there is another construction besides not only X but also Y that is also correct: not only X but Y

Now lets analyze the original sentence.

I've divided the sentence into different sub-parts. Parts with similar color are parallel (or at least they should be).

I am listing these sub-parts one below the other.

do deep-sea divers risk nitrogen narcosis
color=blue] they also fall prey to decompression sickness[/color]

Deep sea divers = They (which is correct, no pronoun ambiguity or subject verb error)
risk = fall (same tense, parallel parts)
nitrogen narcosis = decompression (parallel)... So we are okay.

Next bit,
often called "raptures of the deep",
commonly known as the "bends"

Often called = commonly known (parallel, no errors)
"raptures..." = bends (no issues here).. So again we are okay..

if they descend below 200 feet
if they ascend too quickly.[/brown]

These two are pretty much parallel word-to-word... So we are okay.

Possible issues.. Well the only issue i can see is that this sentence uses an inverted If..then structure. i.e. then comes before if .. but grammatically that's okay. But lets evaluate other options.

This option is the popular wrong choice. The reason to eliminate this sentence is the intent of the author. Author is comparing two things here, --> what happens when divers dive below 200 feet and what happens when they ascend too quickly.

The intent is to show that not only does X happen but Y also happens.

When we use but .. we are in effect saying that X happens but not yet.. .or X does not happen but Y happens...

So we can rule this out.

If you analyze this sentence by dividing it into sub-structures like we did for sentence A, you would realize that this is not parallel. Out of sheer laziness i am not redoing the process here. If you run into trouble. Let me know. So we can rule this option out

This option is an easy one to rule out, the lack of parallelism just jumps out. Eliminate.

This option is again easy to eliminate because of subject-verb agreement error. a deep-sea diver is singular and "they is plural" eliminate.
Last edited by mohit11 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Founder of Consulting Network: https://consultingnetwork.co.in - A portal for consultants

Facebook Page for Consulting Network: https://www.facebook.com/globalconsultingnetwork

My Blog: https://outspoken-mind.blocked

730 Debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/730-q49-v41- ... 80010.html

Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by mohit11 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:33 am
ngoebel wrote:I'm a bit confused by one aspect of this sentence.

The sentence uses "not only....but (pronoun) also;" is this acceptable usage of the conjunction? I was under the impression that "not only...but also" was required without the pronoun.

The sentence could then be "not only...but also they..." although not in the any of the answer choices, but maybe it should be written differently.

Could someone please help?
Ngoebel, as i explained above, this is a trap. "also" in actually part of the complex noun phrase and not part of the idiom not only .. but also..structure.

Not only does a student need to beat the GMAT, but he also needs to write interesting essays to secure admission in the top Mba programs.
Founder of Consulting Network: https://consultingnetwork.co.in - A portal for consultants

Facebook Page for Consulting Network: https://www.facebook.com/globalconsultingnetwork

My Blog: https://outspoken-mind.blocked

730 Debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/730-q49-v41- ... 80010.html