bus takes much time

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

bus takes much time

by sarwan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:48 am
Since the mayor's publicity campaign for Greenville's bus service began six months ago, morning
automobile traffic into the midtown area of the city has decreased seven percent. During the same period, there
has been an equivalent rise in the number of persons riding buses into the midtown area. Obviously, the mayor's
publicity campaign has convinced many people to leave their cars at home and ride the bus to work.
Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

A. Fares for all bus routes in Greenville have risen an average of five percent during the past six months.
B. The mayor of Greenville rides the bus to City Hall in the city's midtown area.
C. Road reconstruction has greatly reduced the number of lanes available to commuters in major streets
leading to the midtown area during the past six months.
D. The number of buses entering the midtown area of Greenville during the morning hours is exactly the same
now as it was one year ago.
E. Surveys show that longtime bus riders are no more satisfied with the Greenville bus service than they were
before the mayor's publicity campaign began.

Ans: C
but according to me answer is E because it makes clear doubt
but about C if there is road construction then this type problem can be with own vehicle also
and but if bus taking much time so public have solid reason to choose own vehicle So, according to me E is the best answer.

Please explain me why I am wrong and why answer is C ?

Thanks
Sarwan

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:710

by Maciek » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:21 am
Hi sarwan,

what is the source of this CR question?

Answer C
Road reconstruction has greatly reduced the number of lanes available to commuters in major streets
introduces possible cause of increase in the number of bus riders. It casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion.

Answer E
Surveys show that longtime bus riders are no more satisfied with the Greenville bus service than they were
We do not know if longtime bus riders are less satisfied or without change. We have no information about rookie riders.
"There is no greater wealth in a nation than that of being made up of learned citizens." Pope John Paul II

if you have any questions, send me a private message!

should you find this post useful, please click on "thanks" button :)

by brijesh » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:11 am
Let me put, the way i understood:

Since the mayor's publicity campaign for Greenville's bus service began six months ago, (Let us consider this statement as coincidence....this happens when the facts (1 & 2 ) are happening

Fact 1 : morning automobile traffic into the midtown area of the city has decreased seven percent. During the same period,

Fact 2:
there has been an equivalent rise in the number of persons riding buses into the midtown area.

Conclusion : Obviously, the mayor's publicity campaign has convinced many people to leave their cars at home and ride the bus to work.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

Lets not try to negate the facts itself, in simple language we can say that the no of cars on roads has decreased and at the same time the % of bus travelers has increased

the reasons which can weaken the conclusion is something that accepts the two facts and at the same time give some other reason for the motivation (facts) , which may be like:

fuel prices has increased

bus fair has decreased

there is huge traffic these days to drive

....etc

So C is the right answer.

A. Fares for all bus routes in Greenville have risen an average of five percent during the past six months.
B. The mayor of Greenville rides the bus to City Hall in the city's midtown area.
C. Road reconstruction has greatly reduced the number of lanes available to commuters in major streets
D. The number of buses entering the midtown area of Greenville during the morning hours is exactly the same
E. Surveys show that longtime bus riders are no more satisfied with the Greenville bus service than they were

but about C if there is road construction then this type problem can be with own vehicle also
and but if bus taking much time so public have solid reason to choose own vehicle So, according to me E is the best answer.

Thanks
Sarwan[/quote]

by sarwan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:28 am
Hi Amciek,

This is the question from official guide 10th Edition

~Sarwan
Maciek wrote:Hi sarwan,

what is the source of this CR question?

Answer C
Road reconstruction has greatly reduced the number of lanes available to commuters in major streets
introduces possible cause of increase in the number of bus riders. It casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion.

Answer E
Surveys show that longtime bus riders are no more satisfied with the Greenville bus service than they were
We do not know if longtime bus riders are less satisfied or without change. We have no information about rookie riders.

by sarwan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:34 am
brijesh wrote:Let me put, the way i understood:

Hi Brijesh,

Your explanation directly striked in my brain. good way to explain by taking some examples

Thanks Yaar....

~Sarwan

Since the mayor's publicity campaign for Greenville's bus service began six months ago, (Let us consider this statement as coincidence....this happens when the facts (1 & 2 ) are happening

Fact 1 : morning automobile traffic into the midtown area of the city has decreased seven percent. During the same period,

Fact 2:
there has been an equivalent rise in the number of persons riding buses into the midtown area.

Conclusion : Obviously, the mayor's publicity campaign has convinced many people to leave their cars at home and ride the bus to work.

Lets not try to negate the facts itself, in simple language we can say that the no of cars on roads has decreased and at the same time the % of bus travelers has increased

the reasons which can weaken the conclusion is something that accepts the two facts and at the same time give some other reason for the motivation (facts) , which may be like:

fuel prices has increased

bus fair has decreased

there is huge traffic these days to drive

....etc

So C is the right answer.

Thanks
Sarwan
[/quote]