Question on GMAT individual section score

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Question on GMAT individual section score

by rajs.kumar » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:46 pm
Hello Stacy,
I scored a 710 (Q44, V42). I am not a native english speaker. Considering my background in science (masters in wireless communications with lot of math related study where I have good grades), will my GMAT quant score severly affect my over application, since a 73% quant is not good for some one with an engineering background. I feel this will give a confusing signal to the admissions people and they may not give me a benefit of doubt.

Initially I had plans to apply to one school, which is in the top 10, and other good schools. Now do I have to reconsider my application strategy or should I still go ahead with my original plans. I know it is difficult to comment on just one part of application. I just want to know how much negative impact this will so that I can decide whether to apply to these schools. You views on this would help.

Thanks,
/Raj

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:20 am
80% is always a good benchmark, but it is not a make or break situation. Do you think you can improve? If so, that would help. If not, I really do think you will be okay assuming all the other components of your application stack up.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

by rajs.kumar » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:31 am
Thanks Stacy. I think I can improve if I spend more time (I believed I will crack quant and score less in verbal). I spent about 3 weeks for prep. But the time is the constraint, since I have my application ready for second round in dec '06 and jan '07 and I dont think I can retake within that time (2 more weeks) and do justification to my prep.

My question is should I improvise my application strategy by chucking out the two lets say dream schools in the top 10 altogether and instead spend time on other schools? Since I believe 73% is a total no for good schools.

As for other parts of my application, only area that will indicate something contrary to gmat qant score is my math, and information theory grades (>= 85%) during my bachelors and masters.

thanks,
/Raj

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:15 pm
73% is not a no-go for a top school. There are absolutely no guidelines like that. If you have your heart set on a particular dream school, I would go for it.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

by rajs.kumar » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:34 pm
Thanks Stacy that was helpful.