Failed badly..590 ( Q48, V23)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

Failed badly..590 ( Q48, V23)

by sumanr84 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 am
Hi All,

Today was a different day, the final day and I failed to make it a good one. I don't know what to write with such a bad score that I never got even during my entire mocks. I don't want to put any excuse from my side as I know -'Excuses don't change the outcome' and I have grown up with this moto.

Having said that, I feel disheartened but not discouraged. I will take it in a positive way and prepare again to make it a different day from today. Things happen for a reason and may be God has a different plan for me. For now, I have to focus on my job and I will sit for GMAT next year only.

Something about the test: ( for upcoming test takers)
Quant was not so difficult. I must have done some silly mistakes during the start of the test. I maintained a good pace and finished the section with 2 mins remaining. Since, I got only 48 so now I know why I didn't get a probability, triple set etc question. Interesting facts, recently I saw few questions floating in here and those were exactly the same. Watch out for new member's posts especially. Few questions were from OG review as well but with a different data set. As my test was running at 48 level so really I didn't see a tough looking question.

Verbal was difficult than anything I saw till now on mocks. I felt, CR was comparable to OGs. SCs were little difficult but manageable. SCs very convoluted in that I felt difficulty in making out what exactly has been tested here. Lots of Comma separated options in SCs. I saw a bold face CR question as 11th question on test and felt that I am doing good. Then came a long Economic passage as RC and I was totally lost in it. From that RC onwards, it was a downhill for me. I got under time pressure with 25 mins for remaining 20 questions and was really feeling my heart beating fast. Last 2 questions I just marked blindly. Though, I was hoping to see something near 640-650 as I never saw too easy question towards the end of test. But then a 590 popped up and I was shocked!!

I put in more than 3 month(150+hrs) of efforts but did only SC and CR. I never really concentrated on Quant and RC, so I deserve what I have got. I will be active in forum after some break. I have got many well wishers here, and they all sent personal msgs for good luck ..Thank you guys, I will make it happen next time for sure. (Keeping this thread in bookmark and will post here only)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by indiantiger » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:18 am
Sorry to hear about Score. I like your spirit of not giving up. Do you mind sharing your test scores from GMAT prep and other sources?
"Single Malt is better than Blended"

by ansh.kumar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:20 am
hi sumanr84,
sorry to hear from u even i was also astonished from ur score. DONT GIVE UP ,gone thru from ur various posts u r a 700+ man
u will make IT soon. BE ACTIVE IN THIS FORUM.
THNKS

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jaskaran » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:20 am
Hey Suman, sorry to hear about your score man, but like you rightly said, give it another shot, and with your attitude I am sure, you will annihilate the exam in your next attempt.

Followed by:3 members

by The Jock » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:31 am
Hey Suman,

Shocked to see your score, but your are a champ and will make it next time.
Thanks and Regards,
Varun
https://mbayogi.wordpress.com/

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by kvcpk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:45 am
That comes as a shocking surprise to me. I am sure you can do it next time Buddy. Keep up the spirits.
We would really want to see you around on BTG.

Legendary Member

by adi_800 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:07 am
Hi Suman..

I too was totally surprised after I got to know the score...
Also, it takes a lot of courage to post after a bad day...

May be..it was not your day.. God really has different plans for you as of now..
Be around this great forum and you will make it next time....

Legendary Member

by adi_800 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:12 am
Btw..just wanna know...
That RC that you got around 11-15 was more difficult than those you get in Mgmat tests?

Was it more difficult that the below RC from Mgmat test?

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mgmat-rc-t57197.html#254519

I hope it was not tougher than the one above...the above one was monster...

N pls post your Gmat prep scores....

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:36 am
Dear Suman,

I was shocked when I came to know your score. Anyways 590 is not very bad score and I am sure that you can do better than that. Don't get disappointed. I gave it 2 times and trying for third time.

Don't be demotivated, try again and keep trying.

See this video, if this person can dance without legs, why can't we achieve our dreams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sanQuIeW_7c

don't forget to see this....

Wish you all the very best,
Sudhanshu
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Followed by:1 members

by RumpelThickSkin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:34 am
sumanr84 wrote:

Something about the test: ( for upcoming test takers)
Quant was not so difficult. I must have done some silly mistakes during the start of the test. I maintained a good pace and finished the section with 2 mins remaining. Since, I got only 48 so now I know why I didn't get a probability, triple set etc question. Interesting facts, recently I saw few questions floating in here and those were exactly the same. Watch out for new member's posts especially. Few questions were from OG review as well but with a different data set. As my test was running at 48 level so really I didn't see a tough looking question.
)
I am so sorry that you had a bad day. Wasit was nerves during verbal .. I am sure you'll crush it next time :-)

Can you elaborate on this? You mean new member posts?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by siddaggarwal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am
Hey SumanR I do not consider 590 to be failing....It is definitely going to get you into many schools. I was discouraged with my score but I kept going. Remember I have been diligently studying from May 2009 to July 2010 before I took it July 22nd...I only took short breaks in studying september 2009-october 2009 and then February 2009-March 2009 because I was burned out but I kept going . The end is always going to be in sight but just focus on the present and take the test lightly. Be very focused and serious when you study but do no let it consume you or discourage you. It is just a math and verbal test it's NOTHING compared to the MCAT, LSAT, Bar exams, USMLE or any engineering exam so don't sweat it. That is very true. Thanks for all your help so far and I am sure you will get a super score I looked to you for great advice.

Sid

Legendary Member

by sumanr84 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:04 pm
adi_800 wrote:Btw..just wanna know...
That RC that you got around 11-15 was more difficult than those you get in Mgmat tests?

Was it more difficult that the below RC from Mgmat test?

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mgmat-rc-t57197.html#254519

I hope it was not tougher than the one above...the above one was monster...

N pls post your Gmat prep scores....
".. Then came a long Economic passage as RC and I was totally lost in it" - Remember that these words comes out of someone who is already week in RC. Please don't take it in absolute way. Also, Difficulty varies from topic-to-topic and person-to-person. I am good at science, universe type passages but bad at history and economic passages. I have to spend some time reading 'The Economist' everyday, and I will also finish 1000RC+SAT RCs next time.

Legendary Member

by sumanr84 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:12 pm
RumpelThickSkin wrote: I am so sorry that you had a bad day. Wasit was nerves during verbal .. I am sure you'll crush it next time :-)

Can you elaborate on this? You mean new member posts?
It may be coincidence but 2-3 days back I saw 1-2 questions of average level difficulty those were exactly the same on test. The post was from a newbee who had posted less than 20 posts by then so I told to keep an eye. I don't remember poster id else I could have informed moderators.

To all Newbee - Please post source of your questions to avoid any copy right issue.

Legendary Member

by sumanr84 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:17 pm
Thanks you all for your encouragement. I have got a lot from this site. There is always someone to motivate you and come up to your rescue..;-)

Forgot to put across my mock scores,
First month:
MGMAT1 - 610
GMATPREP1 - 640
MGMAT2 - 640
Second month:
MGMAT3 - 670
KAPLAN1 - 710
MGMAT4 - 710
Third month :
KAPLAN2 - 690
KAPLAN3 - 610
GMATPrep2 - Don't want to put, Highly Inflated since I already did questions from 198 GMATPrep doc
MGMAT5 - 690

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:33 pm
Hey Suman,

Don't get disheartened. You and I are in the same boat. Failed miserably in verbal during the actual exam while the practice scores were convincing. Unlike me, your attitude to take up the challenge again and succeed is remarkable. All the very best for your next attempt.
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"