Recent research has indicated that married people

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Recent research has indicated that married people are not only happier than unmarried people, but also healthier. This study has been widely reported by the media, with most commentators concluding that being married is good for one's health and attitude.

The conclusion of the media commentators depends on which of the following assumptions?

The longer people are married, the happier and healthier they become.

Married couples who had a large, extravagant wedding are happier than those who had a small, simple ceremony.

Married people cannot get depressed.

Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people.

Some marriages are more harmonious than others.

by bdiwakarteja » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:21 am
IMO D

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:41 pm
Torn between A and C. I'd go for C.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by debmalya_dutta » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:42 pm
my pick is C

What's the OA here ?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vishalkc2 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:34 pm
IMO D

by bdiwakarteja » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:20 pm
The source is MGMAT and the answer provided is Option D. THough i am not convinced with the explanation that it provided and i chose C in the exam. If anyone still feels that D is the option, could you please explain why?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by seshadrivyas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
D is right because: our objective is to find the assumption in the commentators argument.
Their argument is this : getting married is good for your health.
So irrespective of your past, if you get married, you will have a healthy life ahead. In some ways this is a sweeping generalization.
To correct this, we have to show that the past health status does not affect your future heath status. Hence D.

C is completely unreletated to the argument. There is no mention about the type of wedding anywhere in the question.

by bdiwakarteja » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:42 am
Hi Seshu!
It is B that relates to the type of wedding. C relates to the main topic of the passage as i thought.
seshadrivyas wrote:D is right because: our objective is to find the assumption in the commentators argument.
Their argument is this : getting married is good for your health.
So irrespective of your past, if you get married, you will have a healthy life ahead. In some ways this is a sweeping generalization.
To correct this, we have to show that the past health status does not affect your future heath status. Hence D.

C is completely unreletated to the argument. There is no mention about the type of wedding anywhere in the question.