Stacy! Please evaluate my profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Stacy! Please evaluate my profile

by Hyuk » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:14 pm
here is my profile:

I am 27 yr old Korean male working at a mid-size credit card processing company(merchant service, I know it is not a blue chip company) in LA, CA. I will have been working only a little over 2 years by sep/2k7 but have been contributing a lot bringing 30 to 40 accounts of small to large franchise (Johnny's Pizza, Denny's, Subway) business every month and have managed them effectively in every manner while others only do 10-20 or below a month.

GMAT:
I haven’t taken one yet but I am sure I can score at least 700+.

Education:
Earned BA in Economics at UC San Diego
GPA- 3.2

LoR:
I can have solid and great letters from here and there.

Extra Curricular:
-Military experience
Katusa(Korean Augmentation To the United States Army) for 2 yrs and 2 months in Korea(wonder if this can help to compensate the short period of W/E or boost my profile)
-nation-wide Lambda Phi Epsilon Asian Fraternity VP
-Taekwondo black belt(won a district championship)
-Volunteered at Tang medical center(UCB)
-Play drum and I am a DJ
-UCSD KCCC(Korea Campus Crusade for Christ) -04 President
-Bible study group leader at my church
-Speak 3 and 1/2 languages(English, Korean, Japanese, and German)
-internship at Merill Lynch(financial advisor assistant)

And A LOT more

Long Story short:
Due to some family issues, I lived in Arab Emirate for 4 yrs and Japan for 3 years in elementary to junior high transition. I have learned and achieved a lot thru out the years of living in different countries..sure I can pull and jot down some nice stories out of this experience but wonder if this also can help my profile in terms of "international" concept.

Aiming for:
Top 10 schools-Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, , Kellogg, Tuck Hass, Yale And LBS in that order.

My queries:
Do I stand a chance in top 10 schools?
In what category of schools would I have good chances with my current profile?

Thank you very much in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:29 am
Yes, you definitely stand a chance at a top school. If you are going to focus on a particular area in terms of planning, I would focus on:
1) Your career - make sure that you can demonstrate leadership in your position, and show career progression if possible.
2) Extra-curriculars - you clearly have a ton of content here, but you can benefit by reigning it in a bit. Make sure that you can point to some truly meaningful experience that you are especially focused on and again, can demonstrate leadership in.

There is not really a "type" of school that will like your background best. It's more a matter of determining your goals and what you want out of school and selecting schools that are a good fit.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Hyuk » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:50 am
thanks for the reply, Stacy.

I just wrote the exam and very disappointed with my score 700 q45 v40. well... at least not even close to my dream score 750+.
I booked another date for the last shot on the 29th of December to celebrate the yr only if i do better.

I was going to apply R2 for all top 10s based on 730+ GMAT but I feel
very insecure with 700 now so pushed it all to R3 except MIT.

How are my chances at top 10 with...can’t really tell but at least 720+ for R3(and with 700 at MIT R2) compared to those with 700 R2?

I know R3 is way tougher than R2 at most schools but don’t know what
better GMAT can do in between....very scared and lost confidence
with alower-than-expected GMAT score now in hand.
any suggestion?
just wondering if there's any fixed fraction of applicants accepted at each round. if so what makes the 3 or 4th round tougher than the first 2?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:14 am
I would definitely apply R2 with a 700, which is a very good score. After you submit, you can retake and if your score is higher, you can informally send it in to the schools. Most of them will accept it, assuming the timing works out.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me