Online classes to make up for mediocre GPA?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Online classes to make up for mediocre GPA?

by ACC2006 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:12 pm
I had an OK, not great GPA from a consensus top-5 undergrad business program -- 3.1 with multiple semesters on dean's list, but some spottiness due to just generally not liking a number of my professors and having other interests.

Now, I'm taking my career seriously and scored a 720 on the GMAT and am looking at top schools. I was admitted to McCombs for 2010 after applying on a whim, but I'm shooting higher and re-applying to other schools this fall first round.
As far as showing that my 3.1 GPA is NOT representative of my intellectual capacity/ability to do well in MBA classes, what would be the recommended course of action?

One option I'm considering include an executive certificate in leadership program through Notre Dame Mendoza, which consists of online classes graded on an A-F scale.

OR, should I consider taking classes in my areas of "weakness" per my transcript (for example, I had a B- in Intro to Econ, followed by an A in micro and a C in macro, B- in Accounting, B- in stats and C+ in statistical analytics, C+ in coprorate finance, etc.) through other online programs? Would it be advantageous to take online classes from prestigious universities' extension programs (e.g. Harvard Extension), and list on my applications that I'm currently enrolled and grade is pending?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:54 am
Hey ACC2006!

You DO NOT need to take extra coursework at prestigious institutions to demonstrate that you are capable of more than your GPA shows. So yay! You can save a lot of money.

When I was admitted to HBS (just graduated in May with my MBA & MPA), they wanted me to do a LOT of pre-matriculation work, and this is what I did:

- I took Microeconomics and Calculus and made an A in each (this was my idea and I wrote about it in my optional essay)
- I took Accounting and Finance and made an A in each (their requirement was I make a B+ or better)

A GREAT place to take extra coursework is through BYU's distance learning: https://ce.byu.edu/is/site/

I took Corporate Finance and I actually learned it! It's also pretty affordable.

My suggestion to you:

Take: Accounting, Statistics, Corporate Finance at BYU online or some other institution (no need for it to be super-fancy)
Write about your progess in those courses in your application

Great GMAT score! Congrats!

I send all of my clients who need to do extra coursework to BYU. Does the trick (along with their having awesome stories). Good luck!
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.