First results

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

First results

by Vitali » Sat May 06, 2006 11:59 am
Hi all

First of all, many thanks to Eric - your blog is very insightful.

I have a question that may sound like I'm showing off - I'm not.

To what extent should I trust results I got from GMATPrep, GMATTER or www.mba-center.com ?

I have not started to study for GMAT yet (although have just passed a professional certification exam, so I am in "studying" mood ;))
Yesterday, to see what level I had and try to estimate for how long I would need to study, I got the following results:
GMATPrep Test 1: 710 (Q49 - short on time rushing at the end, V38 - but plenty of time left)
GMATTER: 100 SC questions - 84 right
mba-center.com test: 750

I am certainly positively surprised, but are those tests representative of what to expect at the real exam?

And, second question: how to train for AWA?

Thanks for any advice!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat May 06, 2006 1:47 pm
Hi Vitali:

You are a natural! Congrats on those great initial test scores.

Your GMATPrep score is an excellent representation of what you would actually score on the real GMAT. GMATPrep simulates the real GMAT exactly, as well as uses actual (but now retired) GMAT test questions. If you were to take the test tomorrow, I would confidently assume that you could score a 710, + or - 30 points.

Your GMATTER performance is impressive as well--I know that this software draws its questions from the Official Guide book, which features actual, retired GMAT questions as well. An 84/100 SC questions is terrific--far better than what I performed when I first started.

I can't speak to mba-center.com because I am not familiar with this service.

Needless to say, you are in a very strong position to begin studying. With the right preparation, you are within reach of scoring a high-700 GMAT.

With regard to preparing for the AWA, I have two suggestions. First, download the "800Score Guide for aceing AWAs," located in the AWA section of this forum. This guide provides a good overview of what this section is all about, as well as examples of high-scoring AWA essays. Second, be sure to do a fair bit of timed practice essays. After reading a few '5' and '6' score essays, you will get a sense of what it takes to do well on this section. Download the Official List of AWA Topics, which can be found in the AWA section of this forum or at MBA.com. Do about a dozen of these practice tests; when you take each test, be mindful about allocating time for brainstorming, outlining, writing, and proofreading.

Best of luck, Vitali. Please use this forum and this community for all your GMAT queries, and let us know how it goes.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

great score

by aim-wsc » Tue May 09, 2006 9:54 am
congrats. its a great score.
as par as i know (& by the stories of 'gmat700+ ppl' i read ) i can surely say that 'GMATPrep' is the exact representation of your actual score on real test.
but since this was your first practice test, your final score might increase, depending upon your preparation ofcourse.
Dont trust others; 'GMATPrep' is the real thing. 8)

well captain Eric has already put everything so i hv nothing left to say.
i want to add one more thing: @ ur score Q49 -V38
how many RCs you faced in this exam?
if its 3/4 then you got to spend healthy ten minutes for each RC set.
this is based on my own experiece....being good @Q and bit weak @V...

one last thing :
Dont trust me; 'beatthegmat' is the real thing :wink: