I beat the GMAT - 720 in 5 weeks

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

I beat the GMAT - 720 in 5 weeks

by PattyCake » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:37 pm
I took the GMATs just over a week ago and scored a 720 (40 M, 49 Verbal). I have been talking about going back to grad school for a year. I signed for the GMATs on a whim, and just picked the first weekend I could make it to a test center, which ended up being in 5 weeks.

So then it was crunch time! Being a person that works better under pressure, I had finally figured out a way to motivate myself to study. I went out the same day and purchased the Kaplan and Princeton Review GMAT study guides. The following day a coworker told me I should order the Official GMAT books, so I bought the comprehensive study guide & practice questions as well as the mini verbal & math guides.

My goal was one book a week. I work full time so one book in 7 days was no easy feat. I studied 4 to 5 days a week. Saturday and Sunday were big study days. Each book added value I think. Although the Princeton Review had the best advice, I thought, for the essays, and the Official GMAT book was great practice for question structure and logic. Both Princeton & Kaplan did a better job explaining difficult math concepts better than the official guide. All said and done I did over 2500 questions in 5 weeks!

I took the day off before the exam – not to study – but just to rest up and relax. I drove to the test center and back as a trial run, which really helped the day off, since I had no clue where the center was.

The only advice I could give for during the GMATs that I haven’t seen on any posts yet (and forgive if I just missed it) is to breathe deep. Focus on it to calm yourself down. I’m not a person who meditates or anything like that, but a couple of deep breaths between sections helped me focus on the task at hand. If I got flustered in a question, I reminded myself that it was just one question and I was just smart as everyone else.

The most traumatic part for me was the seconds between when I clicked on “keep my scores” and when the scores came up on the screen. I’m sure it was only 5 seconds or less but it may as well have been an hour. I felt like I had done awful and was so burnt out from the exam I wanted to cry. Then my scores came up and I almost cried anyways just to spite the GMATs!

After the test to celebrate completing the GMATs, I’d recommend a couple of really strong drinks …. and then a couple more…

It helped me!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:04 pm
What a performance, with just 5 weeks of study! Congrats!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school