OG12, Q18

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

OG12, Q18

by sumanr84 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:05 am
Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

(A) Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi,

(B) Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than fungi,

(C) Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon,

(D) Plants, more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon,

(E) Plants acquire carbon more effi ciently than fungi,

[spoiler]OA : C , I don't have a problem with OA but my doubt is with the explanation that OG gives to eliminate A.[/spoiler]

Here comes an exception to COMMA+Preposition Rule,

Rule : Comma + Preposition acts as an adverbial modifier and should modify the previous clause.

E.g. The diet of greek,...was largely veg,...., with meat as a rarity.

For option A, OG Explanation says that - According to the sentence grammar, in the form of carbon dioxide describes fungi, which is nonsensical.

Option C - in the form of carbon dioxide correctly modifies carbon - How come Comma + Prep started referring to previous a noun just before comma. Is it acting as a noun modifier here ? So that means we have an exception.

Review: https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/ass ... t5523.html

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:43 am
here we are comparing the efficiency of plants and fungi. not the acquiring efficiency of carbon to carbon dioxide and converting it to sugars .

because fungi is not converting carbon to carbon dioxide and converting it to sugars.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by paes » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:51 am
Can somebody explain why A is wrong ?
I agree that C is right, but I am not seeing any problem with A.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:03 am
Hey paes, A is incorrect because "in the form of carbon dioxide" is a noun modifier for "carbon". The right answer must place carbon next to the modifier (at the end of the underlined portion).
  • Ask me about tutoring.

Legendary Member

by paes » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:07 am
Thanks Patrick. But big confusion here :

As already written above :

Rule : Comma + Preposition acts as an adverbial modifier and should modify the previous clause.

so here also
"in the form of carbon dioxide" should be an preposition modifier, modifying to plants.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by manjeetsingh1 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:15 am
Hi..

Comma + preposition can work both as adverbial modifier as well as adjectival modifier depending upon context

e.g I have visited royal place, in Brussels -- in this it is acting as a adjectival modifier modifying "royal place"

I have visited royal place in 1995 -- in this prepositional phrase is modifying the entire clause

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ryantherocket » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:49 am
paes wrote:Thanks Patrick. But big confusion here :

As already written above :

so here also
"in the form of carbon dioxide" should be an preposition modifier, modifying to plants.
i think comma+preposition can modify a noun, not just a clause. this sentence is an example of that.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:12 am
I am not aware of a rule that explicitly states that comma+preposition = adverbial modifier, so I don't have the same dilemma as you guys.

I know that that comma+preposition typically starts an adverbial modifier, but I didn't know it must do so as a rule. My understanding was always that a prepositional phrase can work as a noun or adverbial modifier depending on the intended meaning.

On a side note, an adverbial modifier does not modify individual nouns, so we could not say in answer A that "in the form of carbon dioxide" is an adverbial modifier modifying plants.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
-Patrick
  • Ask me about tutoring.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by kvcpk » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:38 am
Seems interesting. Request the experts to shed some light..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:37 am
sumanr84 wrote:Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

[spoiler]OA : C , I don't have a problem with OA but my doubt is with the explanation that OG gives to eliminate A.[/spoiler]

For option A, OG Explanation says that - According to the sentence grammar, in the form of carbon dioxide describes fungi, which is nonsensical.

Option C - in the form of carbon dioxide correctly modifies carbon - How come Comma + Prep started referring to previous a noun just before comma. Is it acting as a noun modifier here ? So that means we have an exception.

Remember this rule about modifiers:

A modifier should be as close as possible to what it's modifying. If it's unclear what a modifier is modifying, or if a modifier could be modifying more than one thing, eliminate the answer choice.

In the SC above, what is in the form of carbon dioxide? The carbon that is being acquired. So C is better than A because it places the modifier closer to what it's modifying.

Please don't get caught up in the minutia of grammar. Think KISS: Keep it simple, Silly! If answer choice C places the modifier closer to what it's modifying, and there are no other errors in A or C, eliminate A and pick C.

Answer choice A would be correct if it said the following:

Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon in the form of carbon dioxide than are fungi.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by paes » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:53 am
Thanks Guru.
You are the master of SC.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by rsarashi » Wed May 10, 2017 9:01 am

A modifier should be as close as possible to what it's modifying. If it's unclear what a modifier is modifying, or if a modifier could be modifying more than one thing, eliminate the answer choice.

In the SC above, what is in the form of carbon dioxide? The carbon that is being acquired. So C is better than A because it places the modifier closer to what it's modifying.

Please don't get caught up in the minutia of grammar. Think KISS: Keep it simple, Silly! If answer choice C places the modifier closer to what it's modifying, and there are no other errors in A or C, eliminate A and pick C.

Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon in the form of carbon dioxide than are fungi.

Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Can you please explain about option E? Whats wrong in this option?

Thanks..

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:37 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
sumanr84 wrote:Plants are more efficient at acquiring carbon than are fungi, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

Dear GMATGuru,
While I understand your point above, i find it somehow contradictory to other rules.

'in form of' is an adverbial phrase that must modify Verbs but here, according to your explanation, it modifies 'carbon' which is a noun. So is not it incorrect?

Your clarification is highly appreciated

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:57 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear GMATGuru,
While I understand your point above, i find it somehow contradictory to other rules.

'in form of' is an adverbial phrase that must modify Verbs but here, according to your explanation, it modifies 'carbon' which is a noun. So is not it incorrect?

Your clarification is highly appreciated
OA: Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide.
Here, the modifier in green is an adverb in that it describes UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCE the preceding blue action happens.
Under what circumstance ARE plants MORE EFFICIENT at acquiring carbon?
Under the following circumstance:
When the carbon is IN THE FORM OF CARBON DIOXIDE.
While the phrase in green does refer to carbon, it also serves to modify the preceding verb phrase in blue, expressing the circumstance under which plants ARE more efficient.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3