Day 3: 60 Days

Share feedback about this free GMAT prep guide
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Day 3: 60 Days

by vikram1 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:00 pm
I got 560 on Gmat Prep Practice Test 1....

Lots of work to do. Looking forward to next 57 days.

thanks

Vik

by gaurav.gaba1 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:01 pm
I got 550. I am aiming for 750

by maine_gmat » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:35 pm
I got 550 with a breakup of q49 and v19

by jain.chakresh » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:43 am
I got a 640 (Q49, V27). I am aiming at above 730.
My main concern area is Verbal.

Can you please suggest me some specific points to improve upon my verbal ability?

I am writing my test on 10-Aug

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:58 am
It has been my experience that students can make the biggest gains in verbal if they focus on Sentence Correction.
The nice thing about Sentence Correction is that you need only master a small number of rules in order to see significant increases.

jain.chakresh wrote:I got a 640 (Q49, V27). I am aiming at above 730.

Can you please suggest me some specific points to improve upon my verbal ability?

Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by vikram1 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:30 pm
Hi Brent,

Similar question for you about verbal. I am following 60 day study guide very precisely and feel very confident with the structure of this plan.
However, i feel that i need to improve my vocabulary and reading skills. In addition to everyday emails, do you recommend anything else on the side to improve in these two areas?

I have started reading 1 hr/day.

Thanks,

Vik

Brent Hanneson wrote:It has been my experience that students can make the biggest gains in verbal if they focus on Sentence Correction.
The nice thing about Sentence Correction is that you need only master a small number of rules in order to see significant increases.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:03 am
Hi Vik,

Reading an hour each day is a great idea. If you want to practice reading at a level similar to the passages on the GMAT, I suggest reading Reading Comprehension passages from any of the major tests (GMAT, GRE, LSAT, etc).

I hope that helps.

All the best,
Brent

vikram1 wrote:Hi Brent,

Similar question for you about verbal. I am following 60 day study guide very precisely and feel very confident with the structure of this plan.
However, i feel that i need to improve my vocabulary and reading skills. In addition to everyday emails, do you recommend anything else on the side to improve in these two areas?

I have started reading 1 hr/day.

Thanks,

Vik

Brent Hanneson wrote:It has been my experience that students can make the biggest gains in verbal if they focus on Sentence Correction.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Rin12 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:38 pm
ok, so I completed the GMAT Prep 1 and I got my break down Q(15/37) and V(30/41) but not an actual score... :( I know its probably low but I'd still like to know... did anyone else have this issue? Can an expert offer an estimate for me?

Just a bit frustrated cause I spent so long taking the thing and I'm still not sure where I stand (aside from the obvious, I have a LOT of math to review and grammar rules I need to learn...)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:26 pm
It's extremely difficult to determine one's score based on the number of questions answered correctly.

A few months ago, I decided to write the GMATPrep test #1 several times in order to write the article: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/03/ ... iple-times

I answered all of the odd-numbered questions in the quantitative session correctly and all of the even-numbered questions incorrectly.

Now, in the article, I talk about 3 tests that had reasonably similar results. The scaled scores for those three tests were 19, 23 and 26. Percentile-wise, these scores range from about the 7th percentile to the 20th percentile. That's not a huge spread, but it was still bigger than I expected.

However, what I didn't write about was the 4th test. In this test I still answered the questions 1/2 right and 1/2 wrong, but this time my scaled score was 42, which is in the 67th percentile!

So, on tests where every 2nd question was answered correctly, the scaled score ranged from the 7th percentile to the 67th percentile.

As you can see, it's not about how many questions we get correct; it's about which questions we get correct.

I haven't heard of that problem of not getting an overall score. Anyone else heard of it?

Rin12 wrote:ok, so I completed the GMAT Prep 1 and I got my break down Q(15/37) and V(30/41) but not an actual score... :( I know its probably low but I'd still like to know... did anyone else have this issue? Can an expert offer an estimate for me?

Just a bit frustrated cause I spent so long taking the thing and I'm still not sure where I stand (aside from the obvious, I have a LOT of math to review and grammar rules I need to learn...)

by Rin12 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:51 pm
It was just odd, because I finished the test, then it said "calculating your score" (or something similar) but when it loaded the page with the grid that was supposed to have my score and breakdown the boxes had * in them instead of numbers.

I got my correct/incorrect numbers off of the review page.

I'm considering uninstalling and reinstalling the software but I'm not sure if that would do anything helpful.

by ndurai2006 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:46 pm
I got 550 in GMAT prep1. Is there any way to get the explanations for answers of GMAT prep?

Thanks,
Durai

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:43 am
Hi Durai,

GMAC doesn't offer solutions for the GMATPrep questions.

It's quite likley that every question found in the GMATPrep test has been discussed in the BTG forums.
So, you can search for questions or post your own.

I hope that helps.

All the best,
Brent

ndurai2006 wrote:I got 550 in GMAT prep1. Is there any way to get the explanations for answers of GMAT prep?

Thanks,
Durai

by ndurai2006 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:46 am
Thanks for your reply Brent!

In order to find out if the question has already been discussed, I will have to go to BTG forum and say if I want to search for a PS question from statistics, I ll have to go to Prob solving in GMAT Math strategy and search for 'Statistics' in it right? and I would get all the post where 'Statistics' is mentioned. Plz correct me if I am wrong

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:56 pm
The best way to search is to enter a portion of the question. This works very well if the question has some unique language (e.g., "Juan is 9 years older than Maria"). If it's more generic like an algebra question (e.g., is 3x>x-9?) then enter portions and see what turns up.

Alternatively, you can submit the question and participate in the discussion.

I hope that helps.

Brent

ndurai2006 wrote:Thanks for your reply Brent!

In order to find out if the question has already been discussed, I will have to go to BTG forum and say if I want to search for a PS question from statistics, I ll have to go to Prob solving in GMAT Math strategy and search for 'Statistics' in it right? and I would get all the post where 'Statistics' is mentioned. Plz correct me if I am wrong

by sosogmat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:02 pm
Did horrible made a 440
26 on Quant. and 25 on Verbal. Please help with any suggestions you may have.