Manhattan GMAT Math Strategy

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Manhattan GMAT Math Strategy

by MakeitHappen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 pm
Could anyone tell me how good are Manhattan Math Strategy guides? My math skills are pretty poor and I need to take small steps to get to my goal. Right now, am focusing on getting my math concepts correct. I have used the Kaplan Premier Guide and found it to be not so helpful. So far, I have had to refer to high-school math text books or any other sources available online to get my concepts right.
The total cost for the Manhattan GMAT Math Strategy guides is about USD100. So I am wondering if it is worth buying it.

Pls let me know so that I can order the book based on the reviews.

Thanks a bunch!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:57 am
MakeitHappen wrote:Could anyone tell me how good are Manhattan Math Strategy guides? My math skills are pretty poor and I need to take small steps to get to my goal. Right now, am focusing on getting my math concepts correct. I have used the Kaplan Premier Guide and found it to be not so helpful. So far, I have had to refer to high-school math text books or any other sources available online to get my concepts right.
The total cost for the Manhattan GMAT Math Strategy guides is about USD100. So I am wondering if it is worth buying it.

Pls let me know so that I can order the book based on the reviews.

Thanks a bunch!!!
I've seen more positive remarks about the Manhattan GMAT books than I have of other theory building books (the OGs are the best practice question books). Personally, I think they're pretty good as well. After you get the basics don't spend too much time going through different theory books though. Once you have the basics it comes down to practice.

Here's a link where people rated GMAT math books that I think will help you

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-mat ... ight=ml307
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:45 am
The MGMAT guides are a must have!
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:54 am
I would say that even if you're great at math, you have to have their number properties book. That is one book, I wouldn't recommend anyone passing on.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by LoveTheGMAT » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:53 pm
Hands down, nothing beats Manhattan! Its test taker's treasure! I have tried material from 2 other leading companies, Manhattan beats both of them combined!

by ptandon » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:57 am
osirus0830 wrote:I would say that even if you're great at math, you have to have their number properties book. That is one book, I wouldn't recommend anyone passing on.
I completely agree! Specially the Divisibility & Primes chapter is a must read.

Followed by:1 members

by LoveTheGMAT » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:25 pm
On top of NP book, I found Book 3: Eqs and VICs very helpful too. Especially the Inequalities (Both general and Advanced)

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:02 pm
I like Word Problems the best.

GMAT Score:700

by InkyBinky » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:26 pm
I triple second number properties. While factoring and the other concepts it covers are pretty basic, it teaches how to perform calculations very quickly. I think it improved my math score at least a couple of points.

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:660

by chendawg » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:46 pm
The numbers properties book has really helped out. I give the books a solid 8/10. Some areas need a bit more attention(such as perm/combinatorics, for me anyways), but that really just depends on what you need.