Defense attorneys have occasionally argued that their client

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:770
Defense attorneys have occasionally argued that their clients’ misconduct stemmed from a reaction to something ingested, but in attributing criminal or delinquent behavior to some food allergy, the perpetrators are in effect told that they are not responsible for their actions.

(A) in attributing criminal or delinquent behavior to some food allergy
(B) if criminal or delinquent behavior is attributed to an allergy to some food
(C) in attributing behavior that is criminal or delinquent to an allergy to some food
(D) if some food allergy is attributed as the cause of criminal or delinquent behavior
(E) in attributing a food allergy as the cause of criminal or delinquent behavior

OA B
What is wrong with the original statement ?
simplyjat

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sanjaylakhani » Tue May 06, 2008 8:54 am
Can somebody pls enlighten as to why A is worng choice...

Allergry to some food as in B is too wordy

Pls do help

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sashwarya » Tue May 06, 2008 2:21 pm
Hi,
Is D the correct answer choice?

by barron » Wed May 07, 2008 2:04 am
A should be correct

Pls check the answer again

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by netigen » Wed May 14, 2008 1:35 pm
A is wrong because "in attributing criminal or delinquent behavior to some food allergy" seems to be modifying the perpetrators while it should modify the defense attorneys.

by s_raizada » Wed May 14, 2008 2:41 pm
A,C,E - Modification error: the phrase In attributing X to Y is modifying perpetrators whereas it should modify attroneys because they are the ones who are attributing deliquint behaviour to food allergy.

B - wordy becasue instead of saying 'an allergy to some food', we can simply say 'food allergy'

D - is correct

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by netigen » Wed May 14, 2008 3:17 pm
B is correct

D is incorrect because "attributed" and "cause of" are redundant.

Followed by:1 members
simplyjat wrote:Defense attorneys have occasionally argued that their clients’ misconduct stemmed from a reaction to something ingested, but in attributing criminal or delinquent behavior to some food allergy, the perpetrators are in effect told that they are not responsible for their actions.

(C) in attributing behavior that is criminal or delinquent to an allergy to some food
(D) if some food allergy is attributed as the cause of criminal or delinquent behavior
(E) in attributing a food allergy as the cause of criminal or delinquent behavior

OA B
What is wrong with the original statement ?
This is an idiom question . Attribute X(an effect ) to Y(a cause). Which lead to what? Criminal or delinquent behaviour lead to an allergy. Eliminate C,D,E . We left with A and B. I choosed A but when I read again I noticed ......in attributing criminal or delinquent behaviour to some food energy, the perpetrators. It clearly modifies perpetrators. But I admit that I did not understand to whole sentence. Tough one.
Please do not post answers visibly . Please hide them or post them later after the discussion.

by vineetbatra » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:49 pm
I still do not understand

1. Why in attributing is modifying the preptrators(which I think are the clients')
2. even if it is modifying clients' why is it incorrect.

Can someone please explain.

GMAT Score:700

by capnx » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:01 pm
In doing X, someone/something... <-- when the prep phrase comes before the main clause, it always modifies the subject of the main clause, and the logical relationship between the phrase and the actor (subject) has to make sense.

ie: By crashing the car into the house, the dog was killed by him. Here, it's not the dog that crashed the car, so the logical relationshp doesn't make sense. It has to be corrected to: By crashing the car into the house, he killed the dog. The same principle can be applied to the question.

"in attributing..." is an action done by the lawyer. it is "the laywers" who attribute whatever, so logically the prep phrase is misplaced. either change the prep phrase, or rearrange the main clause.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pnvpratik » Mon May 24, 2010 5:20 pm
capnx wrote:In doing X, someone/something... <-- when the prep phrase comes before the main clause, it always modifies the subject of the main clause, and the logical relationship between the phrase and the actor (subject) has to make sense.

ie: By crashing the car into the house, the dog was killed by him. Here, it's not the dog that crashed the car, so the logical relationshp doesn't make sense. It has to be corrected to: By crashing the car into the house, he killed the dog. The same principle can be applied to the question.

"in attributing..." is an action done by the lawyer. it is "the laywers" who attribute whatever, so logically the prep phrase is misplaced. either change the prep phrase, or rearrange the main clause.
Brilliant explanation :)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by naki009 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:18 pm
capnx wrote:In doing X, someone/something... <-- when the prep phrase comes before the main clause, it always modifies the subject of the main clause, and the logical relationship between the phrase and the actor (subject) has to make sense.

Thanks a lot for your wonderful explanation.It clarified some important concepts that I have a doubt in....

by varundaga05 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:02 am
Can someone explain this with each options

Misplaced Modifier specially..

Not clear and how to detect the same

by martin.jonson007 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:55 am
Nice ques...

B is correct...!

ta

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:11 am
Received a PM asking me to reply. I'm sorry I'm just getting to your message now; I've been on vacation since 23 June.

There's no source cited here, but luckily I recognize this one. It has appeared in both OG and PowerPrep - and, because it appeared in PowerPrep, we're allowed to post and discuss. :)

varundaga05 asked me to address the misplaced modifier issue here. Generally speaking, there are rules about where to place modifiers in sentences. If the modifier is not placed correctly according to the rules, then the modifier is called a "misplaced modifier."

In this question, we've got a fairly complex sentence, so let's break it down a little bit. Here's the original:

Defense attorneys have occasionally argued that their clients' misconduct stemmed from a reaction to something ingested, but in attributing criminal or delinquent behavior to some food allergy, the perpetrators are in effect told that they are not responsible for their actions.

Here's the core: Defense attorneys have argued that misconduct stemmed (from X), but the perpetrators are told that they are not responsible (for Y).

[Subject Verb THAT Subject Verb], but [Subject Verb THAT Subject Verb].

There are several modifiers - the most important one is the long one in the middle - the one that is underlined: "in attributing criminal or delinquent behavior to some food allergy,"

We know that this is a modifier because it cannot stand alone as a sentence. It's modifying, or giving us additional info about, something else in the sentence. What is it modifying? Let's start with: it's modifying something AFTER itself, because this modifier is after the word "but." This modifier is part of the second half of the sentence.

Okay, so what is it modifying? The phrase is describing an action - someone or something is attributing criminal or delinquent behavior to a food allergy. Who or what is doing that? Logically, the defense attorneys are attributing bad behavior to a food allergy - that matches the info in the first half of the sentence. Hmm. But the second half doesn't mention the defense attorneys; it only mentions the perpetrators. Are the perpetrators attributing their own bad behavior to food allergies? I suppose that's possible, but that's not what the first part of the sentence says. The first part says that the defense attornies are doing this. So I've got a "bad" meaning here - a misplaced modifier.

So answer A doesn't work. Ditto C and E.

B and D change the structure of the sentence - what was a modifier is no longer a modifier. Now, it's part of the core. Here's B:

Defense attorneys have argued that misconduct stemmed (from X), but if behavior is attributed to Z, the perpetrators are told that they are not responsible (for Y).

[Subject Verb THAT Subject Verb], but [if Subject Verb, (then) Subject Verb THAT subject verb].
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me