Columbia - Not accepting Early Decision Admit

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any repercussions of not accepting an admit from Columbia's Early Decision round (after having paid 6000 $) ?

Is it just an ethical contract that you can release yourself from by paying 6000 $, or does it have any other ramifications ?

Thanks !

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:01 am
shubhankar85 wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any repercussions of not accepting an admit from Columbia's Early Decision round (after having paid 6000 $) ?

Is it just an ethical contract that you can release yourself from by paying 6000 $, or does it have any other ramifications ?

Thanks !
I'm not quite sure what would happen, but they make you sign the following statement:

I am committed to attending Columbia Business School and will withdraw all applications and decline all offers from other schools upon admission to Columbia Business School.

It sounds like they only want you applying to the early decision round if you are 100% positive that Columbia is where you want to attend.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by shubhankar85 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:43 am
dmateer25 wrote:
I'm not quite sure what would happen, but they make you sign the following statement:

I am committed to attending Columbia Business School and will withdraw all applications and decline all offers from other schools upon admission to Columbia Business School.

It sounds like they only want you applying to the early decision round if you are 100% positive that Columbia is where you want to attend.
But can they use this honor statement to sue you or notify other schools (In case you don't end up joining them), or does the non-refundable 6000$ deposit serve as a kind of "compensation" for CBS ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by student22 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:46 am
This is one of those questions that I would ask a lawyer rather than an internet forum. It honestly shouldn't cost you more than a couple hundred bucks, but at least you'll get a clear answer about any consequences.

Or as a joke answer, ask the "Beat the LSAT" forum or whatever is this forum's LSAT equivalent. ;)

2009 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:700+

by gkumar » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:13 pm
If you're not sure if you want to attend Columbia, then the Regular Decision is in place also. Otherwise why apply for Early Decision?

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:29 am
EssaySnark has heard the CBS adcom say that if someone is willing to break their signed oath and not honor their commitment to attend, after being accepted through an ED app, then CBS is happy that that person is going to another school so he/she is not CBS's problem. All schools are concerned with integrity and ethics, perhaps none more so than CBS given the shady reputation that Wall Street types have and how many people they send there. They don't want to support people of loose morals with their brand. Essentially, CBS will be glad that the person showed his/her true colors, and they likely will wash their hands of it. Yes, it is a contract, but EssaySnark guesses that CBS will be satisfied with keeping the $6k and doubts they would pursue further recourse.

As other poster said, why apply ED if not certain CBS is the right place?

ETA: Admissions Directors at different schools do know each other, and network. Whether they talk about specific applicants (or whether they are bound by some sort of confidentiality statements to not do so) is not known to EssaySnark. But it's a small industry.
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:32 pm
essaysnark wrote:EssaySnark has heard the CBS adcom say that if someone is willing to break their signed oath and not honor their commitment to attend, after being accepted through an ED app, then CBS is happy that that person is going to another school so he/she is not CBS's problem.
I love this.... so true too... CBS isn't worried about someone not accepting their offer.. they have thousands of others they could admit in that spot... and they've gotten $6k out of it... maybe they give all the money from ED people who have renigged as financial aid to others hahaa... that'd be clutch!
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants