Please help to build an approach - awaiting replies

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi All,

I gave GMAT day before yesterday without any practice tests and got 530. The split ups are,

Quants - 45.
Verbal - 19.

Please give me some solutions for my below queries,

1) If I push my verbal to 40 after a three month practice. Can my overall score touch 700+ approximately ?
2) I am concerned about RCs. Can you please suggest some good book for RC with tough exercices ? I read RC in OG before an year. Please help me..

Thanks,
Ram
978 999 6461
[/list]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by ayushiiitm » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:23 pm
what helped me on RC was active reading

By that i mean....do these things at every reading you do

Take Note of :

what the author intends to say

Why each paragraph is written

Paraphrase the paragraphs (in your mind)

and finally for each answer that you choose, cross check from the RC.

P.S A better vocabulary always helps in RC

Suggested book>>OG, OG and OG

practise 2-3 RCS everyday, under timed conditions.

Track your progress

If you find a pattern in your mistakes, get back to the forum and post here, about how to improve on that kind of questions
Success is a journey.....enjoy every moment of it

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:85 members
GMAT Score:750

by tpr-becky » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:49 pm
The key to reading comp is understanding what you read as you are reading it. The best technique I have found for this is to stop at the end of each paragraph and summarize what the author was talking about in 4-6 words. No details just the basic understanding of the topic/main point of the paragraph.

If you can get past this then the key is to look back at the passage for each question and know what the approximate answer to the question is before you look at any of the answer choices. Don't lean on information in the answers to guide you through the passage - they are set up to make you think incorrect things.

best of luck.
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ramprakaashk » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:59 pm
Thanks AYush and Becky..Can you please suggest any good books to enhance the RC and SC skills. IS OG good enough to get better on these areas ? Thanks again for your help.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:24 pm
I have observed that all course providers be it Kaplan, Manhattan, Veritas or any other one unanimously suggest not to read in a passage in detail but for passage structure, function of each passage ,logic and author's tone etc. In fact,some go to the extreme suggesting that the read few lines in first para and few lines of rest of the paragraphs but refer to the rest as and when applicable based on the question type(s).

However, all very high verbal scorer students of GMAT continously suggest to read carefully complete passage. I am really not sure of this paradox and of course then, which approach to follow eventually ? Any expert advise on this ?