In her 26 years in the forests of Gombe

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

In her 26 years in the forests of Gombe

by varundaga05 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:37 am
In her 26 years in the forests of Gombe, Jane Goodall collected data that proved that chimpanzees exhibit the kind of curiosity so that new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from each one to others by imitating and practicing.

(A) exhibit the kind of curiosity so that new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from each one to others by imitating and practicing
(B) will exhibit the kind of curiosity so that new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from one to another by imitating and practicing
(C) will exhibit the kind of curiosity so that new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from each one to another by imitation and practice
(D) exhibit the kind of curiosity by which new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from each one to others by imitating and practicing
(E) exhibit the kind of curiosity where new patterns of behavior and expression are passed on to others by imitation and practice

[spoiler]Ans : D[/spoiler]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:770

by albatross86 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:59 am
A. "so that" is awkward.

B. Future tense is inappropriate. The finding is a general statement of fact, like "Lions have manes" so we need the present tense.

C. Ditto.

D. Correct. The curiosity leads to the passing on of patterns. "by which" correctly conveys this.

E. Though "imitation and practice" is preferable to "imitating and practice" ... what breaks this question is "where". We cannot use "where" to indicate causation or this kind of comparison.

Pick D.
~Abhay

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. -- Andre Gide

by nathanalgren » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:00 am
I thought it is either A or D. Can anyone explain the difference between "so that" and "where by"?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by paes » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:58 am
IMO A or D
A is looking better to me.

'So that' is used when there is some purpose.

So if chimpanzees are doing it intentionally, then 'so that' looks fine to me.

by varundaga05 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:55 pm
You don't exhibit a behavior so that something can happen
Your behavior exhibit something

for so that - You do something so that something can happen. So exhibit is the keyword i guess here

In GMAT sentence should make sense as well.

Please correct me if I am wrong

by Cinji18 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:22 pm
varundaga05 wrote: (D) exhibit the kind of curiosity by which new patterns of behavior and expression can be passed on from each one to others by imitating and practicing
D did seem like the best answer for me, but isn't the "by...by" redundant?
That's the only thing that put me off.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:10 pm
Actually A changes the meaning here. Intended meaning is that because of the curiosity NP and expression can be passed. A says that chimpanzees exhibit X, therefore, NP and expression is passed. This is actually not correct and not with our meaning above. Therefore, A is incorrect.

D is correct

HTH!!!
nathanalgren wrote:I thought it is either A or D. Can anyone explain the difference between "so that" and "where by"?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bikash123 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:36 am
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/in- ... -t453.html

I think there is a mistake in the given option "D"

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Crystal W » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:02 am
I have two confused points about this question. First, Can you explain by which in choice D? If we do not use which-clause, which place this by should be in ? Second, How can I decide to use by doing or by + noun?
Thanks in advance!