2011 Application to H/S/W/K

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

2011 Application to H/S/W/K

by ckal1052 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:51 am
Hello,

I am planning to apply to business school for entry in Fall 2011.

I would like some honest advice on my chances of getting into the following US b-schools:

Plan A: Harvard/Stanford/Kellog/Wharton
Plan B: Columbia/Chicago

I have already received admission to a top Indian business school and need to make my decision soon on whether to take it or let go of the offer and apply for a US b-school for fall 2011. So if you could pls provide some advice within the next 1-3 days, that would be much appreciated.

Of course, I would prefer to do my MBA from a US school since I prefer to work/ live in the US over India

Here is my background:

Born in India, moved to New Zealand where I completed my undergraduate education. Now live in Australia.

Studied Engineering and Economics at the University of Auckland in NZ - GPA is equivalent of 3.9 - 4.0
Ranked 2nd in my university for Engineering
I was also selected by the University to attend a summer program in China / Hong Kong
GMAT Score : 730
Work Ex : On joining in Aug-2011 I would have had 2.5 years of work experience in a Big 4 Audit Firm's Advisory (Mgmt Consulting) Division in Australia. I have also worked (as an intern) at Air New Zealand in NZ.
Extra-curriculars: Tennis (university and club), Engineers without Borders Volunteer, Mentoring students from low socio-economic background at School and University

What are my chances at getting into the schools in "Plan A" .
Also, do you think re-taking the GMAT to get something 750+ would help?

Thanks in advance!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by mygmat.2009 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:26 am
Hi ckal1052, I am not a prof admissions consultant but like you I've been researching universities, so here are my two cents:

First, You have solid qualifications to get into any university, but unfortunately there are no guarantees as the admissions decision might very well be driven by other factors (e.g. essays, diversity of class, ...etc). Saying that, forgoing your admission to the top Indian school depends on how much risk you are willing to take (sometimes the more risk you take, the bigger the reward is!). Have you tried asking for deferral?

Second, I understand that the Indian applicant pool is more competitive than other nationalities/ethnicities. However, you seem to have studied and worked in different parts of the globe, so selling that as part of your essays might set you apart from the rest of the Indian pool. As for the GMAT, I personally believe that if an adcom is to reject your application it won't be because you didn't have the extra 20 points. If it were a 690 and you are trying to get a 710+ I would have said it might make a difference but you are at 730 already so a smart adcom (which most are at top universities) would look more into your overall academic qualifications including specific course marks ...etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sam

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:38 am
In all honesty - Columbia and Chicago are NOT plan B schools.

Your abroad experience is invaluable and should definitely be the highlight. That's definitely something that will separate you from the rest of the applicant pool. 2.5 years experience MAY be hard to sell. It can be done...but it's going to be tough.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants