Just 690 (Q48, V36), one month preparation tips

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi, yesterday I took GMAT, got 690 and decided to write couple of words because without such forums like BTG it would be harder to get a decent score and BTG helped me a lot.
My score is not especially exciting but I know that if I got better sleep before the exam I should have been over 700. I would like give some info to poeple who have one month to prepare because I know how time consuming is the process of choosing the materials and so called strategy. This is how I prepared (I change the order just a little bit so it is more helpful)

Materials:
OG12,
GMAT Prep CAT's
Manhattan GMAT maths books
Manhattan SC
MGAMT CAT's
Powerscore CR bible
198 700-800questions from BTG
https://www.beatthegmat.com/argument-ess ... 38032.html for AWA
https://thousandsc.blocked/ for SC
www.nature.com for RC

First 2-3 weeks:
1) I read OG introduction to get to know what actually gmat is
2) Bought MGMAT books and took couple of days to study the math (ther was of course nothing new but they showyou how to use obvious math concepts especially for gmat, helped me a lot) Important: write down all the necessary concepts and little tricks
3) Go with the OG maths and systhematically do verbal part as well
4) GMAT prep CAT 1 - do it all over again, I did it about 7-8 times so I digged out a lot of questions, of course if you see a question you are sure you know how to solve you skip it, dont care about the score (aprat form the 1st and 2nd attempt)
5) start with CR Powerscore bible
6) finish Manhattan SC, write down the concepts

Last 2-3 weeks:
1) buy MGMAT CAT's, I don't know other companies' test but this is enough, do them every 2-3 days. The day after you take a test go through it agian and solve agian all the questions you are not sure how to do and then read explanations after each question. I advice it to maths and SC.
2) take GMAT prep CAT 2 2-3 times, and solve 198 700-800 questions
https://www.beatthegmat.com/argument-ess ... 38032.html
3) finish verbal part OG
4) finish CR Powerscore bible
3) 1-2 days before memorize the template of AWA

Final tips:
systhematicaly:
- try to do as many SC questions form https://thousandsc.blocked
- read articles form www.nature.com, if you get used to difficult texts about genes Gmat texts are much easier
(read them as fast as possible- 2-3 times faster than normal, dont care that much about understanding, it will come with time - CRUCIAL for RC)
- write down problematic maths questions from the tests so you can go back to them any time
- always analyze the maths questions so youre sure to understand them, use forums to look for explanations!
- dont get the test scores that serious, treat them as studying materials, from first Gmat prep CAT one month ago i got 530 :)

MGAT CAT's math is definitely much harder than the real thing, if you go through all the MGAT math questions analyzing them and taking GMAT prep many times real Gmat will be rather easy (I know I got just 48 but this is what I think)
My english is so so, I am not a native speaker, in such case work on verbal (it was the reason I was below 700), powerscore bible + SC webpage + reading a lot of form www.nature.com are crucial

Get a good sleep, take some pills, I forgot about it and woke up at night and slept just about 4 hours, really bad.

This is it, if you are a native speaker, 700+ guaranteed :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by pharmxanthan » Tue May 25, 2010 12:22 pm
Congrats tomaszbatyra! How were the CR questions in the GMAT? Were they similar, in terms of length and complexity, to those given in official guides?

by Reva » Tue May 25, 2010 12:39 pm
congratulations . what is this " 198 700-800 questions from BTG" ,where can i find this

Thanks

by jaskaran » Tue May 25, 2010 1:37 pm
congratulations, thats a great effort in 1 month.

by DAYNE » Tue May 25, 2010 1:40 pm
grats

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mannisanthankumar » Thu May 27, 2010 3:19 am
congrates dude!!!!

where can i find 198 700-800 questions. please give me the link.

manni

tomaszbatyra wrote:Hi, yesterday I took GMAT, got 690 and decided to write couple of words because without such forums like BTG it would be harder to get a decent score and BTG helped me a lot.
My score is not especially exciting but I know that if I got better sleep before the exam I should have been over 700. I would like give some info to poeple who have one month to prepare because I know how time consuming is the process of choosing the materials and so called strategy. This is how I prepared (I change the order just a little bit so it is more helpful)

Materials:
OG12,
GMAT Prep CAT's
Manhattan GMAT maths books
Manhattan SC
MGAMT CAT's
Powerscore CR bible
198 700-800questions from BTG
https://www.beatthegmat.com/argument-ess ... 38032.html for AWA
https://thousandsc.blocked/ for SC
www.nature.com for RC

First 2-3 weeks:
1) I read OG introduction to get to know what actually gmat is
2) Bought MGMAT books and took couple of days to study the math (ther was of course nothing new but they showyou how to use obvious math concepts especially for gmat, helped me a lot) Important: write down all the necessary concepts and little tricks
3) Go with the OG maths and systhematically do verbal part as well
4) GMAT prep CAT 1 - do it all over again, I did it about 7-8 times so I digged out a lot of questions, of course if you see a question you are sure you know how to solve you skip it, dont care about the score (aprat form the 1st and 2nd attempt)
5) start with CR Powerscore bible
6) finish Manhattan SC, write down the concepts

Last 2-3 weeks:
1) buy MGMAT CAT's, I don't know other companies' test but this is enough, do them every 2-3 days. The day after you take a test go through it agian and solve agian all the questions you are not sure how to do and then read explanations after each question. I advice it to maths and SC.
2) take GMAT prep CAT 2 2-3 times, and solve 198 700-800 questions
https://www.beatthegmat.com/argument-ess ... 38032.html
3) finish verbal part OG
4) finish CR Powerscore bible
3) 1-2 days before memorize the template of AWA

Final tips:
systhematicaly:
- try to do as many SC questions form https://thousandsc.blocked
- read articles form www.nature.com, if you get used to difficult texts about genes Gmat texts are much easier
(read them as fast as possible- 2-3 times faster than normal, dont care that much about understanding, it will come with time - CRUCIAL for RC)
- write down problematic maths questions from the tests so you can go back to them any time
- always analyze the maths questions so youre sure to understand them, use forums to look for explanations!
- dont get the test scores that serious, treat them as studying materials, from first Gmat prep CAT one month ago i got 530 :)

MGAT CAT's math is definitely much harder than the real thing, if you go through all the MGAT math questions analyzing them and taking GMAT prep many times real Gmat will be rather easy (I know I got just 48 but this is what I think)
My english is so so, I am not a native speaker, in such case work on verbal (it was the reason I was below 700), powerscore bible + SC webpage + reading a lot of form www.nature.com are crucial

Get a good sleep, take some pills, I forgot about it and woke up at night and slept just about 4 hours, really bad.

This is it, if you are a native speaker, 700+ guaranteed :)