Which path to take...

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Which path to take...

by daynewr » Tue May 18, 2010 1:27 pm
My question may be simple, but I am not sure what route to take. I have a B.S Degree in Bible with an emphasis on Youth Ministry from a SACS accredited college. I am currently working in a financial education sales position for the past 3 years and want to better position myself for the business world. I want to take the GMAT and proceed to a MBA (not needing to go with at top MBA school...looking at something like Western Kentucky University or Tennessee Tech, but am open to other options.)

I am curious if I will be able to proceed with attempting a MBA or if I should just go for a second degree in business or marketing instead. Will my current degree limit me from being considered for a MBA program? Am I going to have to take a lot of "pre-MBA classes" before I am even allowed to start the MBA if I am accepted?

This is all new to me and just looking for a little direction if available.

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Tue May 18, 2010 3:05 pm
Thanks for writing. I have good news for you...b-school assumes and requires no prior business education. Now, don't get me wrong, it is indeed helpful if you come prepared to handle math, and some MBA programs have some Math prerequisites, but it shouldn't be anything horrible. Most schools even offer a math camp prior to matriculation for non-quant types. If you have a four year BS degree, though, you should have had some math requirements in undergrad for that. THe real good news, however, is that your degree and background will set you apart from the applicant crowd, as there are precious few applicants with a background in ministry. Differentiation is paramount in the b-school application process, and any bit of diversity you can offer is good. So in short, you absolutely can and should pursue an MBA if that's the direction you want to go in. Good luck!..... and God Bless! :)
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options