GMAT beat me too :(

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT beat me too :(

by bertys » Mon May 10, 2010 7:08 am
Same sad story as some of the people here - my score was less than I had expected.

I think one of the things that got to me was the test center enviroment.

Half the time I was expecting the proctor and his goons to pull me to the side and start patting me down for illegal posession of a secret communications device.

Every time I went to the bathroom the scene was like in a spy movie: the reception lady had a gun taped under her desk, finger on the trigger, watching my every move.

When I opened the locker to get a snack, I heard the eyeballs pop out of the the camera. They were hazel-colored.

Come to think of it, we should the let the GMAT test center people handle our airport security.

---

P.S. One of the things that I will do before I take the next test is go to a public library, sit in a small cubicle, stick ear plugs in my ears, and pound away a GMATPrep test, complete with AWAs. Rinse and repeat.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm
bertys wrote:
P.S. One of the things that I will do before I take the next test is go to a public library, sit in a small cubicle, stick ear plugs in my ears, and pound away a GMATPrep test, complete with AWAs. Rinse and repeat.
Either that... or I went in to work on Saturdays and took it.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by student22 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:30 pm
Well, if the test center wants to act like it's a spy movie, show up like this next time...

Although you might wanna practice writing your essays upside down...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ReachingHigher » Tue May 11, 2010 3:47 pm
Okay, so here is my question on this:

How does one take a practice test in a library? My library does not allow internet access for that long.

Does sitting at your desk (in your office at home) suffice? Complete with ear plugs?

Angie

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bertys » Wed May 12, 2010 1:30 pm
ReachingHigher wrote:
Does sitting at your desk (in your office at home) suffice? Complete with ear plugs?

Angie
Angie,

Regarding the use of the internet in the library - GMATprep software does not require you to be connected to the internet to use it.

As far as practicing at home with the earplugs, I think it would help a little bit.

I did a GMATprep at home (without ear plugs) and scored 70 more points than I did on the real exam - a huge drop.

What I found distracting was the fact that there were people coming and going from the test room all the time. This breaks concentration. Also the cubicle was unusually small. The chair was uncomfortable. The desk is smaller than the one I have at home. I had to turn my writing pad 90 degrees ("landscape format"). All these small factors add up.

Anxiety was also a factor for me. For some darn reason, I was unable to concentrate on solving 3 step problems. I felt that I knew what needs to be done, but could not remember how to do it. Frustrating. My last quant problem was ridiculously simple. I knew then and there that I blew the test.

One more mistake I made was scheduling the test at 4pm. I am a morning person, so my next test will be early in the day.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:36 pm
also write the essays before the quant section!

by ReachingHigher » Wed May 12, 2010 7:31 pm
I am totally going to try this - I am going to remember to write those darn essays when I take the practice exam.

I am also thinking about turning the TV on at that time. Maybe I can also try the library. I will definitely give it a shot. Why not?

Anxiety is a total bummer. I have the same issue. When I took the test BOTH times, I could not control anxiety. You know what I did? I got so freaked out that I just gave up. Period. I gave up completely - all I could hear was the terror roaring through my head. It was a complete white space of anxiety - I could not remember how to do a simple number properties problem. It was terrible. I just ran through the exam without a thought. I was so DONE.

However, even with all of that, I did get a 550. I really hope that with a little practice, a little patience, and a little prayer, I will improve.

Thanks to all of you.

Angie

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:37 pm
Stamina is uber important. I had my MGMAT CAT exam post GMAT assessment today with Stacey Koprince. She brought up a great point. She said that it's important to do the essays every time because otherwise your brain gets used to doing Verbal after an hour and a half of quant rather than after an hour of essays and an hour and a half of quant. So moving forward I will do the essays every time.

by ReachingHigher » Thu May 13, 2010 11:57 am
Hi Money,

I appreciate your thoughts. I also had the assessment with the tutor after my GMAT flub (the last one). Great tutors and wonderful suggestions!

I am going to do those essays every single time. No doubt.

Have a great day,
Angie