540 (Q48,V17) It is awful (((((

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:610

540 (Q48,V17) It is awful (((((

by nicktimoshenko » Wed May 12, 2010 5:09 am
I'v just failed the GMAT 540 (Q48,V17)
It is awful result. I am very disappointed, because in GMATPrem my verbal score always was above 20, and one time even 31. And quantitative - between 45 and 51. Total score fluctuated between 550 and 640. So I hoped to get in Quantitative section 51 and in verbal 33-35. Thus my total score would be above 700. But I was not so lucky(((

Verbal part is terrible trial for nonnative speakers. Total I spent on verbal part and on reading English book and newspaper hundreds hours. Lust year and in this year I read 2-3 hours every day/ And now I meat new worlds in gmat not as often as early. But result occurs very low.

My second attempt will be 27 October. This time I will spend on studying English. Tomorrow will write plan of preparation.

Is it possible to lift verbal score during 5 month from 17 to 38-40? What preparation material could you recommend me? I have solved all question in OG, (Orange and purple) and Kaplan 800. also I use Manhattan review (Sentence correction, reading comprehension and sentence correction guide).

27 October I must get minimum 700.
Last edited by nicktimoshenko on Fri May 21, 2010 1:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed May 12, 2010 5:27 am
Try to get the Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction Guide and the Powerscore critical reasoning bible. Those are two good resources that should help you.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:33 am
Did you use the practice exams you took?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by nicktimoshenko » Wed May 12, 2010 5:41 am
osirus0830 wrote:Try to get the Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction Guide and the Powerscore critical reasoning bible. Those are two good resources that should help you.
I used this book. After reading it SC bocame my strongest side among all verbal part. but in majority of CR i can not understend argument, although i know allmost all words.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:48 am
What's the issue exactly? Is it that you don't know what the questions are asking? Or are you just not understand the material in the passage?

by nicktimoshenko » Wed May 12, 2010 5:50 am
money9111 wrote:Did you use the practice exams you took?
yes,
GMATprep 1 - 570 (q44, v25)
GMATprep 1 (second attempt) - 640 (q46,v31)
GMATprep 2 - 640 (v51, q25)
creack Gmat 570 (q49, v19)

after tests i inquired all mitakes...

by nicktimoshenko » Wed May 12, 2010 5:55 am
money9111 wrote:What's the issue exactly? Is it that you don't know what the questions are asking? Or are you just not understand the material in the passage?
sometimes do not understand. sometimes understand after rereading 6-7 times. But in Exam there is not time on this.

the same situation with RC

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:00 am
I'm not sure what type of advice to give you. I cannot imagine how tough this exam would be if I were not a native speaker.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:590

by carllecat » Wed May 12, 2010 1:15 pm
nicktimoshenko wrote:
money9111 wrote:What's the issue exactly? Is it that you don't know what the questions are asking? Or are you just not understand the material in the passage?
sometimes do not understand. sometimes understand after rereading 6-7 times. But in Exam there is not time on this.

the same situation with RC
You should consider an immersion trip in an English speaking country. I did that and it worked pretty good.

Cheers!

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:29 pm
Come to NYC! We'll study verbal together ;-)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Gulzhan » Wed May 12, 2010 6:25 pm
Hi,

I guess you are a Russian speaking person.
This is really hard for you and I understand what you are going through.

You have a very good math score and it is amazing!!

My advice, keep practicing regularly on math questions, so you don't have to after few months go back and look into that again, like you've never seen the material.

At the same time, if you'll have a chance, get a book: Manhattan GMAT Sentence correction to improve SC part.
Know your Idioms!
I understood that you are reading a lot, which is good. Since there are many international students in Kiev, I would find some and chat mostly with them.

If you'll ever have any questions during your studying that you would want to address to the Russian speaking person, please let me know... Ya pomogu chem smogu :)

Zhana

by nicktimoshenko » Wed May 12, 2010 9:01 pm
Gulzhan wrote:Hi,

I guess you are a Russian speaking person.
This is really hard for you and I understand what you are going through.

You have a very good math score and it is amazing!!

My advice, keep practicing regularly on math questions, so you don't have to after few months go back and look into that again, like you've never seen the material.

At the same time, if you'll have a chance, get a book: Manhattan GMAT Sentence correction to improve SC part.
Know your Idioms!
I understood that you are reading a lot, which is good. Since there are many international students in Kiev, I would find some and chat mostly with them.

If you'll ever have any questions during your studying that you would want to address to the Russian speaking person, please let me know... Ya pomogu chem smogu :)

Zhana
Hello, Zhana

Chatting with native speaker is really good idea. But unfortunately there are only few English speaking person in Kiev. It is possible to find them only on courses. Lust year i attend one, and meet a lot of people from USA and Canada. But since several month they leave country))) Majority of native speaker teacher are travelers.

For Russian speaking person verbal part of GMAT really terrible thing))
Especially, if you began to study English intensively only in 23 as i did (1,5 year ago)
I hope that reading give result, and quantitative changes moves to qualitative!
main - never give up!
first attempt 540 (Q48 V17)
second attempt 610 (q47 v27)
my blog:
https://waytotopbs.blocked

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:05 pm
Maybe you should start a post with something like "Native Russian speakers" in the title. There must be some people perusing this website who are in or have been in your position before. I think they would be the best resources for you to seek advice from pertaining to this topic.

I wish you the best, and wish there was something that I could do.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Wed May 12, 2010 10:21 pm
The easiest way to learn a language is to use it and use it frequently. You also have to be very critical of every little detail and understand each error.

Perhaps you can try engaging in more blogs and allow others to point out your grammatical errors. For example, there are several errors in your previous posts. By writing more, I think some of these English rules will begin to "click" for you.

by nicktimoshenko » Thu May 13, 2010 10:48 am
)) it may be the best way to learn written English - begin English blog)) in addition i think it will be useful to answer on some question on this forum about math part of GMAT . for me in tens times easier then verbal part. In addition I will practice to write on English )))
first attempt 540 (Q48 V17)
second attempt 610 (q47 v27)
my blog:
https://waytotopbs.blocked