is my study material right?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

is my study material right?

by [email protected] » Tue May 11, 2010 6:09 am
hello all,

i have given myself about 5 months since May 1st, 2010, to prepare for GMAT. so i will be writing sometimes end of September or early October, 2010. in my arsenal of preparatory literature i have:

1. Kaplan GMAT 2010-2011 Premier with CD-ROM
2. Kaplan Math Workbook
3. Kaplan Verbal workbook

4. McGraw-Hill's GMAT 2008 Edition (6 Practice Tests)

5. OG Review 12th Edition
6. OG for Quant Review
7. OG for Verbal Review

8. ARCO Master the GMAT 2007

i have the following questions with regards to the preparatory material at my disposal:

1. i am not sure if it's me or anything but i find OG pretty good so far except that their problems get harder after 100. is it like that or am i imagining things?

2. Can i trust McGraw-Hill to be a good preparatory tool? i have never seen anyone talk about it in this forum.

3. ARCO provides great practice material but i wonder if it is reputable or can be relied upon. does anyone know how good this material is for GMAT preparation?

please help i and thanks in advance.
Mogorosi.[/url][/list][/list]

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:52 am
you should be able to get by with that
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Tue May 11, 2010 10:16 am
McGraw Hill is terrible.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Tue May 11, 2010 12:39 pm
osirus0830 wrote:McGraw Hill is terrible.
what do you mean? should i drop it right away? is it that useless?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:790

by Toph@GMAT_REBOOT » Tue May 11, 2010 12:44 pm
You have THE MOST IMPORTANT MATERIALS in the OG books. I don't know enough about the various testing company books to recommend one over another, but I think as long as you go through one to get a general sense of the exam, you're off to a good start. Buy one of the Manhattan GMAT books off Amazon. This will give you access to their online exams. Of all the non-GMAT Prep exams that I took, I thought these were the most useful... and you get them w/ whichever book you choose for approx. $17 on Amazon.

Also, I liked the Kaplan 800 book for extra practice w/ difficult questions for Quant.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jerryragland » Tue May 11, 2010 3:57 pm
[email protected] wrote:hello all,

i have given myself about 5 months since May 1st, 2010, to prepare for GMAT. so i will be writing sometimes end of September or early October, 2010. in my arsenal of preparatory literature i have:

1. Kaplan GMAT 2010-2011 Premier with CD-ROM
2. Kaplan Math Workbook
3. Kaplan Verbal workbook

4. McGraw-Hill's GMAT 2008 Edition (6 Practice Tests)

5. OG Review 12th Edition
6. OG for Quant Review
7. OG for Verbal Review

8. ARCO Master the GMAT 2007

i have the following questions with regards to the preparatory material at my disposal:

1. i am not sure if it's me or anything but i find OG pretty good so far except that their problems get harder after 100. is it like that or am i imagining things?

2. Can i trust McGraw-Hill to be a good preparatory tool? i have never seen anyone talk about it in this forum.

3. ARCO provides great practice material but i wonder if it is reputable or can be relied upon. does anyone know how good this material is for GMAT preparation?

please help i and thanks in advance.
Mogorosi.[/url][/list][/list]

Ok.. I see you are starting to study.. If you need help with the concepts you need to have all the Manhattan GMAT Strategy guides. When you buy just one book you will have access to 6 MGMAT tests online. I bought all the guides except for RC and CR.

Get the Powerscore CR Bible for CR. OG guides are not for learning the concepts, they should be used for practice after you learnt the concepts. In my opinion, Kaplan Math work book is not so good and it covers just the very basics and that is not enough for GMAT. Kaplan Premier is good for the practice problems, again it lacks in teaching you the core in-depth concepts.

Arco and Mcgraw hill - I don't know anything about it. At least I never heard members in this site using them as their base study material.

I wish I had posted the same question when I started studying for GMAT :-) Good Luck!!!!

Followed by:1 members

by LoveTheGMAT » Tue May 11, 2010 6:14 pm
I know someone said he/she didn't buy CR and RC from Manhattan. I think you should get CR, its totally worth it!
I bought the entire 8 book package, got good discount on it.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed May 12, 2010 7:28 am
[email protected] wrote:
osirus0830 wrote:McGraw Hill is terrible.
what do you mean? should i drop it right away? is it that useless?

Hmmmm....you can use it for extra math practice problems, but I wouldn't use it for verbal.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Followed by:1 members

by RyanDark » Thu May 13, 2010 3:08 pm
Hi,
I would also like to get input from experts here reg my Maths material.I am good in Maths since my school days.So I was not planning not spend much on Quant books. I got Kaplan Math Workbook.I completed it and was able to answer most of the practice questions correctly . Apart from it I got OG Quants and OG 12. And I feel I am doing kind of pretty good with questions from OG too. DO you guys feel that this is sufficient in my prep for Quant or should buy some other Quant books too?

by jerryragland » Thu May 13, 2010 4:41 pm
RyanDark wrote:Hi,
I would also like to get input from experts here reg my Maths material.I am good in Maths since my school days.So I was not planning not spend much on Quant books. I got Kaplan Math Workbook.I completed it and was able to answer most of the practice questions correctly . Apart from it I got OG Quants and OG 12. And I feel I am doing kind of pretty good with questions from OG too. DO you guys feel that this is sufficient in my prep for Quant or should buy some other Quant books too?
Take a practice test, that is a good indicator.