1 thing you wish you knew?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

1 thing you wish you knew?

by money9111 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:28 pm
Hi Everyone!

I will be taking the GMAT on Saturday. If you wouldn't mind responding to my question that'd be great!

What is one thing you wish you knew or realized after taking the exam, that you didn't know prior to taking the exam?

Thank you,
Richard
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by mygmat.2009 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:02 pm
Control emotions, especially if you are trying to hit a high score. Unless you are a genius since birth, there is no doubt you will feel frustrated by feeling less and less confident as you proceed and eventually have to guess few questions (Q & V). Ridiculously easy questions will pop-up every once in a while, don't let that freak you out.

Best of luck to you Richard, I've seen you around the forum for a while and I'm sure you'll do great.

Cheers,
Sam

by DAYNE » Thu May 06, 2010 3:14 pm
good luck

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by metalhead » Thu May 06, 2010 6:45 pm
-- I wish I'd known that even with headphones on, I would be able to listen to conversations happening outside the testing room door. Incidentally, I sat just a little away from the testing room door - my mistake - I should've asked for a different seating, but it didn't strike me at that time that I could actually request for a different seat. I was able to concentrate most of the time, but during those little 'zoned off' seconds in between questions or whatever, it didn't help to hear someone coming in, going out of the door, etc.

Definitely request for better seating if you're not satisfied with the one you're assigned to.

-- Agree with mygmat.2009's comment about ridiculously easy questions popping up - I got one that stumped me because of its simplicity, and I started getting the feeling that I had goofed up on the previous questions. Keep telling yourself to move on if this happens.

Good luck!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by paddle_sweep » Thu May 06, 2010 8:24 pm
All the best mate.

by bbakang » Fri May 07, 2010 5:04 am
Have fun tomorrow

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:40 am
Thanks for the tips! The seating arrangement hadn't occurred to me! That's some valuable information. I'll be sure to sit as far away from the door as possible!

GMAT Score:590

by carllecat » Fri May 07, 2010 7:18 am
money9111 wrote:Hi Everyone!

I will be taking the GMAT on Saturday. If you wouldn't mind responding to my question that'd be great!

What is one thing you wish you knew or realized after taking the exam, that you didn't know prior to taking the exam?

Thank you,
Richard
How to set my clock alarm properly! (joking)

Good luck!

by nikhilkatira » Fri May 07, 2010 7:29 am
All the best buddy...GO BEAT THE GMAT !!!

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:29 am
lmao @ carllecat - did you have an issue with that? my exam is at 4pm so that won't be a problem...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mad.grad » Fri May 07, 2010 2:46 pm
money9111 wrote:Thanks for the tips! The seating arrangement hadn't occurred to me! That's some valuable information. I'll be sure to sit as far away from the door as possible!
Money man ....

I don't think we get to decide where we can sit. It is all luck . I tried asking for a spot too , but the administrator refused saying that it is all decided when we book the exam. Forget about seating, put in the earplugs that they give, they are pretty good.

Yes, 4:00 pm , you do not need to worry about the alarm clock ....:)

Relax ... you prepared well for this, go watch a comedy and chill out .....

All the best dude ....

by GMAT680 » Sat May 08, 2010 4:39 pm
How did it go buddy?

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Sat May 08, 2010 5:16 pm
Thanks everyone for the tips... unfortunately it did not go well at all...so... at the very least I know what to expect for the next time.

by GMAT680 » Sat May 08, 2010 7:06 pm
what went wrong?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by tanvirkhan77 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:34 am
I took GMAT once and preparing for the 2nd round, one thing I realize, whatever the area of your weakness is, question some how shows up from that. Most likely it will be again and might be again... but please keep in your mind that's only 3 out of 37 or 41 and even 95% percentiles make mistakes and most likely more than 3 on each section.
Best strategy:
Accept the fact you are weak in that area, so chances are high that you wont get it right... so why waste time on it... give 45 sec to figure it out.. if you see light end of the tunnel.. bingo!!! in that case take little bit of more time. If there is no light, take another 15 sec for best guess with your best logic and judgment and hit "NEXT"

Moment you click next, just forget about it and concentrate on next question. An unsuccessful try on each question is like a failed relationship, more you think about the last one, more you screw up the next one.

If you see another question from same area, just follow the 1st step.

Bottom line, even best of the best cant get all questions right and no one needs to get all right either to be on top 5%. So why bother. I feel like, GMAT is like playing chess; system will try to defeat you and your goal is the same.

Here is my overall research and analysis:

Someone's brain works better in the morning and someone's in the evening. It's very very important to know before booking your test time. Know it for sure. I repeat, its very very important

I am not under valuing the AWA, but if you are pushing to hard during AWA (happens to all of us as it's the beginning of the exam), it brings a negative effect on verbal or end of quant section.
Best strategy is: have a pre formatted essay write up and during AWA, just change the arguments and stick with it. It increases the chances of making less error on grammar, spelling etc. It also keep your brain warmed up but not too stressed to get tired later on. Honestly, how often we talk about AWA or worried about it,. 700+ with 3 or 4 AWA, I can live with that.

Do what ever it helps to give the brain some strength. If you are smoker, don't smoke just before the exam. I am a smoker and honestly, not smoking didn't bother me as I was too concentrated on exam (or CATs I have taken at home). I don't know the effect of it but if science says, smoking weakens the brain then I will stay away from it before exam. Who knows, may be it can help me to get at least one question right. After the exam, I am smoking like a chimney!!!!

It's always better to close your eyes for 30 seconds and take deep breathe during quant section. During verbal section do it at least 3 times for little longer especially before the RC section. I personally think it's always better to answer 32 questions right for whatever it takes and guess 9 questions because you run out of time at the end.

Please keep in your mind, this is what I think and most likely it will not match other's perceptions about GMAT but still wanted to share.