Meteorite impact

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Meteorite impact

by soumyopriyosaha » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:12 am
25. A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago.

(A) supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that
(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact
(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and

Followed by:1 members

by mmon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:20 am
IMO B

(A) supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that (changes meaning)
(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact (sounds correct to me)
(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and (awkward)

by soumyopriyosaha » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:22 am
OA is B. I chose C. Can you explain the problem with C?

Followed by:1 members

by mmon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:27 am
here "that" at the end of the underlined part incorrectly means the theory caused the extinction instead of the global fire due to meteorite impact

hope it helps
check my previous post where i explained each answer

by soumyopriyosaha » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:35 am
Thanks a lot.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by pillager » Mon May 10, 2010 6:08 pm
Can some one explain me why choice A is incorrect? Is it because theory of is an incorrect idiom?
Thanks in advance

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:02 am
here "that" at the end of the underlined part incorrectly means the theory caused the extinction instead of the global fire due to meteorite impact
Wrong...
C says "global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs" meaning is global forest fires contributed not the theory...
My take why C is wrong is theory cannot be of global forest fires..rest all the choices other than B have errors...

Hence B