750 (Q49 V44) Thanks BTG!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:750

750 (Q49 V44) Thanks BTG!

by modesto2 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:46 am
I just finished my second attempt at the GMAT with a 750 (Q49 V44). It's been quite a journey that started back in April 2009 with periodic studying and high aspirations. I scored a disappointing 670 in my first attempt one month ago, but I was determined to hit 700+. However, I wasn't expecting a 750 :) A special thanks to this website for all its help - I couldn't have done it without Beat the GMAT! Below are some details about my preparation.

July 2009 GMAT First Take:
670 (Q44 V38) AWA 6

August 2009 GMAT Second Take:
750 (Q49 V44) AWA 6

Books:
* Kaplan Premier
* OG12
* PowerScore Critical Reasoning Bible

I started with Kaplan Premier, which offered a good overview of the test questions. Then, I finished my studying with OG12 and scored 670 on my first attempt.

Most importantly, I realized after my first attempt that I didn't focus enough on my weaknesses. After re-focusing for my second attempt, I focused specifically on my weakest areas: data sufficiency and critical reasoning. To improve DS, I re-did a bunch of the OG12 questions and studied the solutions. To improve CR, I purchased PowerScore's Bible and powered through the book in a few days. As others on this website have said, PowerScore's CR Bible is a great book with some great tips. I was convinced that there was no way I'd be able to simplify CR, but the book proved me wrong. This book undoubtedly contributed to my improved verbal score. After a few weeks of concentration on DS and CR, I was confident that attempt #2 would be more successful.

I encourage all GMAT takers to stay focused on the ultimate goal - b-school. It's easy to lose focus in a sea of GMAT practice questions, but maintaining focus and determination is critical to success in this endeavor. There were certainly times when I was discouraged with practice test scores, but I powered through those tough times. It's all worth it in the end.

I took a few practice tests with VERY mixed results. See below:

GMAT Prep 1 (1st attempt): 690
Kaplan CAT 1: 550
Kaplan CAT 2: 540
Kaplan CAT 3: 540
GMAT Prep 1 (2nd attempt): 690
GMAT Prep 2 (1st attempt): 710
***GMAT (1st attempt): 670***
MGMAT Free Online CAT: 640
GMAT Prep 2 (2nd attempt): 730
***GMAT (2nd attempt): 750***

I applaud this website for all its resources! It was invaluable to my test preparation, and I owe much of my success to the instructors and other contributors on this site. A huge thanks to Beat the GMAT and its staff! You rock :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:52 am
great score congrats
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vivecan2005 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:36 pm
modesto2 wrote:I just finished my second attempt at the GMAT with a 750 (Q49 V44). It's been quite a journey that started back in April 2009 with periodic studying and high aspirations. I scored a disappointing 670 in my first attempt one month ago, but I was determined to hit 700+. However, I wasn't expecting a 750 :) A special thanks to this website for all its help - I couldn't have done it without Beat the GMAT! Below are some details about my preparation.

July 2009 GMAT First Take:
670 (Q44 V38) AWA 6

August 2009 GMAT Second Take:
750 (Q49 V44) AWA 6

Books:
* Kaplan Premier
* OG12
* PowerScore Critical Reasoning Bible

I started with Kaplan Premier, which offered a good overview of the test questions. Then, I finished my studying with OG12 and scored 670 on my first attempt.

Most importantly, I realized after my first attempt that I didn't focus enough on my weaknesses. After re-focusing for my second attempt, I focused specifically on my weakest areas: data sufficiency and critical reasoning. To improve DS, I re-did a bunch of the OG12 questions and studied the solutions. To improve CR, I purchased PowerScore's Bible and powered through the book in a few days. As others on this website have said, PowerScore's CR Bible is a great book with some great tips. I was convinced that there was no way I'd be able to simplify CR, but the book proved me wrong. This book undoubtedly contributed to my improved verbal score. After a few weeks of concentration on DS and CR, I was confident that attempt #2 would be more successful.

I encourage all GMAT takers to stay focused on the ultimate goal - b-school. It's easy to lose focus in a sea of GMAT practice questions, but maintaining focus and determination is critical to success in this endeavor. There were certainly times when I was discouraged with practice test scores, but I powered through those tough times. It's all worth it in the end.

I took a few practice tests with VERY mixed results. See below:

GMAT Prep 1 (1st attempt): 690
Kaplan CAT 1: 550
Kaplan CAT 2: 540
Kaplan CAT 3: 540
GMAT Prep 1 (2nd attempt): 690
GMAT Prep 2 (1st attempt): 710
***GMAT (1st attempt): 670***
MGMAT Free Online CAT: 640
GMAT Prep 2 (2nd attempt): 730
***GMAT (2nd attempt): 750***

I applaud this website for all its resources! It was invaluable to my test preparation, and I owe much of my success to the instructors and other contributors on this site. A huge thanks to Beat the GMAT and its staff! You rock :)
Great Score!! Congrats!! truly inspiring!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:20 pm
Congrats on that huge score, and thanks for those very kind words about our community! Hope that you stick around as you prepare for your MBA application!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ReachingHigher » Thu May 06, 2010 4:22 pm
Hey All,

I have a question about simulating real test conditions.

How does one go about doing that in a library? What if you cannot use WiFi that long? Or, what if you have a battery that simply will not last 3.5 hours?

Would sitting at home, with earplugs (and a TV making soft sounds), would that simulate real test conditions?

Thanks!

GMAT Score:730

by bigmonkey31 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:57 am
ReachingHigher wrote:Hey All,

I have a question about simulating real test conditions.

How does one go about doing that in a library? What if you cannot use WiFi that long? Or, what if you have a battery that simply will not last 3.5 hours?

Would sitting at home, with earplugs (and a TV making soft sounds), would that simulate real test conditions?

Thanks!
hahaha yeah that'll work. I used earplugs every time because i knew that in the real test i'd be wearing them. if you have a study room, try to use that.

by ReachingHigher » Fri May 07, 2010 10:33 pm
That sounds like a plan. I was just stumped by that, mostly because I definitely do not want to test at a library (although that is a good simulation of the real thing).

Thanks!