Do i have a chance with such a low GPA?

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Do i have a chance with such a low GPA?

by MBAoneday » Tue May 04, 2010 5:26 am
Hi All,

First I wanted to let you know that I think these forums (and your site!) are great and a wealth of information for all applicants. However, im writing becasue I would like your professional opinion on my chances of admittance into a good MBA program.

About me:
Im 24 years old and am from a small under represented western european country. I have lived in 13 countries and travelled to many more (35+). I speak French and English (Mother toungue).

Work Experience:
Currently two years, although I wouldnt be aiming for admission for another 3-4.
1 years 6 months: I was employed by (and cofounded) a startup which focused on providing VC, Executive management expertise and international marketing to small to mid-stage growth countries. We had a VC fund of $5million, which I founded and my work took me to Norway and Singapore regularly.
5 months: I worked for a senior figure within a multinational asset manager to create and develop new investment vehicles which focused upon the alternative energy industry.
Present: Work for another multinational asset manager in a global business development role. On a daily basis I am in contact with colleagues around the world, from Europe to Asia to the USA.

Extracurriculars:
College: I played rugby for the school team, I also managed one of the intramural teams (Got the squad together, liased with other teams, secured sponsorship etc). I was also a member of the management society.

After College: I sit on an alumni committee for my university which gets events going in and around the capital and which also seeks to increase alumni involvement with the university for mutual benefit. Ive also founded an alumni association for my old secondary school. I play rugby for a local team and also coach their U14 team. Participate in charites, most recently volunteered to build and orphanage in Vietnam.Continue to travel as opportunity allows, have also competed in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Singapore and Brazil.

Qualifications:
Im hoping to have CFA levels 1 and 2 (at least) finished by the time I apply.
I have a BA degree in business

Weaknesses:
My GPA is very low...I dont know what it translates to in the American system but its extremely low. This can be attributed to both ill health and immaturity. To combat this I will take college level classes and get A's...im also hoping that the CFA will help show that im academically capable and that the GPA, which will be along time ago by the time I apply, doesnt reflect the person I am now.

Reason to do the MBA:
Well, Its always been an ambition of mine. I would also like to use it to project myself into alternative energy focused Venture capital with the long term aim of starting my own fund which focuses on emerging markets and aims to help those in developing countries.

GMAT: 720

I would really appreciate your input with regards to my chances of admission.

Thanks.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by MBAoneday » Tue May 04, 2010 5:27 am
I should add im interested in:

Yale, UNC, Duke, Darden, Georgetown.

Thanks!

Official Company Rep
Followed by:16 members
GMAT Score:770

by Scott@VeritasPrep » Thu May 06, 2010 9:36 am
Hello,

A low GPA will definitely hurt your chances. Of course, it depends on how low "very low" is! But, it's going to make it harder. However, it can be done.

You're thinking of it the right way: The GPA is in the past, but going forward you can help yourself the most by taking (and getting A's in) several college-level courses now. Focus on statistics, calculus, and possibly accounting. It's more important that they be hard, quant-oriented subjects than they be business-oriented. Earning a CFA may help a little, but not as much as you might thing. It may just raise more "Why do you want an MBA?" questions in admissions officers' minds, so you'll need to be very clear on your post-MBA goals and reasons for wanting an MBA.

You mentioned that you have two years of full-time work experience, but want another three or four before applying. You don't need to wait that long... Maybe apply in another two years, which would give you five years of FTWE by the time you enter an MBA program. Any more than that, and you again start to raise questions about, "Why did you wait this long?"

Your work experience and extra-curriculars sound promising... I think the big challenges for you will be that GPA and really nailing down your post-MBA goals! Do that, and I think a UNC- or Georgetown-level school should be doable for you. Also take a look at Emory (Goizueta) and U. Texas (McCombs), depending on what exactly you want to do after business school.

Good luck!
Scott