Please explain the answer!!

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Please explain the answer!!

by gmat_perfect » Sun May 02, 2010 8:27 am
With the Herculina event, apparent secondary occultations became "respectable"-and more commonly reported. In fact, so common did reports of secondary events become that they are now simply too numerous for all of them to be accurate. Even if every asteroid has as many satellites as can be fitted around it without an undue number of collisions, only one in every hundred primary occultations would be accompanied by a secondary event (one in every thousand if asteroid satellites system resembled those of the planets).

I could not understand the official answer.

The question is:
The information presented in the passage implies which one of the following about the frequency of reports of secondary occultations after the Herculina event?

(A) The percentage of reports of primary occultations that also included reports of secondary occultations increased tenfold compared to the time before the Herculina event.

(B) Primary occultations by asteroids were reported to have been accompanied by secondary occultations in about one out of every thousand cases.

(C) The absolute number of reports of secondary occultations increased tenfold compared to the time before the Herculina event.

(D) Primary occultations by asteroids were reported to have been accompanied by secondary occultations in more than one out of every hundred cases.

(E) In more than one out of every hundred cases, primary occultations were reported to have been accompanied by more than one secondary occultation.

Experts, please explain every option. Why other options are incorrect and the one is correct.

Thanks.

OA: D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by susantaiitk » Sun May 02, 2010 8:40 am
I think the para says that the number of reported cases of secondary occultations increased after the Herculina event so much so that it became improbable.

A - i couldn't find 10 fold increase
B - it is one out of 100 cases which is the max frequency
C - again 10 fold increase couldn't be found
D - this is correct
E - distorted

frankly i got confused b/w D & E because of wording.