Scored 710 in GMAT - Need Experts advice

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Scored 710 in GMAT - Need Experts advice

by papumba2011 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:29 pm
Hi,
I gave my GMAT today and scored 710 (48Q/38V). Although I was targetting around 740 mark but still I will take the score. My job don't allow me to study much during the weekdays and I could only study in weekends.

Here is my background info:

Class-Xth Standard - 93.6%
XIIth Standard - 83.2 %
Engineering Entrance Rank - 210.
Graduation - 81%

Extracurricular activities - Actively associated with an NGO and helped in developing its volunteer base in certain area.
Played cricket, football in College and Office teams.
Got 2nd Prize in All India Colour contest way back during my school days.

Work Exp:
1) Worked as a consultant for 2.5 yrs in one of the big 4 consulting firm. Handled projects both domestic and offshore.Worked in projects in Health Care, Insurance, Government Risk and Compliance, etc.
2) Working as a business analyst in an Investment management firm for the last 2+ yrs.

I am planning to apply to ISB and some other top schools like INSEAD, Stanford, Duke, GSB - Chicago, etc. Do I really stand much chance in getting into these schools. It will be great if the experts can throw some light on my chances of getting into these schools. I am kind of apprehensive about my chances because my score is not in the range of 740+. I do understand the application part will be important but then how important is the score part. Will 710 affect my chance of getting into these schools.

Looking forward for some advice.

Thanks in advance !

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:51 pm
you score will not keep you out of these schools... a 740 is a stronger score so it wouldn't hurt... but is it necessary? imo i don't think so... [/u]
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by mygmat.2009 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:22 pm
In case of top-schools, I personally believe that the GMAT score is a ticket to how strongly the adcom will consider your candidacy, and once you pass a certain threshold (e.g. 680 or so), they will move on to other factors of the application. The only way I see an adcom basing a decision on the GMAT is if the qualifications of two or more candidates match very closely (which is very rare) and there is a considerable gap between their scores.

However, that said, I have also come across different opinions that say: because schools tend to push for diversity within their classes, they will look at your cultural background/experience and bucket you accordingly (i.e. if you have studied and worked in India, they will more likely be comparing you to your fellow applicants from India). If that is the case, and the GMAT average for applicants from India seems to be higher than the overall average of the rest of the pool, the threshold might be a little bit higher.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:36 pm
mygmat.2009 i agree 100%
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants