Oh Tenses: you always screw me up

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Oh Tenses: you always screw me up

by loveusonu » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:36 pm
NASA reported that Orion has gone deeper in the space than they had estimated and they will start decelerating it and return home soon.

A.has gone deeper in the space than they had estimated and they will start decelerating it
B. had gone deeper in the space than they had estimated and they will start decelerating it and return home soon.
C. has gone deeper in the space than previously estimated and it will start decelerating it.
D. had gone deeper in the space than previously estimated and it will start decelerating it.
E. had gone deeper in the space than previously estimated and they will start decelerating it.

[spoiler]I don't have OA for this...Seems C is consistent with Tenses, but has another SVA error(it). Plz help[/spoiler]
Sonu
--------
When you want something desperately, the whole Universe conspires in helping to give it to you - The Alchemist

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:42 pm
ImO D is the correct ans

nasa reported means its in past so had gone A n C eliminated orion is singular so it will be correct B E eliminated so left is D.

anyone if i m wrong

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ganand25 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:57 pm
Answer D changes the meaning of the original sentence...cannot be D...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:85 members
GMAT Score:750

by tpr-becky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:03 pm
There is no plural noun in the entire sentence to any answer with They in it is incorrect - that only leave C and D - since reported is in the past tense we need the past perfect had gone. therefore D is the answer.
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA

Legendary Member

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:16 pm
i dont think that D changes the meaning of sentence.
and thanks to expert ( tpr becky) to confirm my reasoning. I think for each post we should have an Expert reply so that all the doubts may be cleared.

by loveusonu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:55 am
tpr-becky wrote:There is no plural noun in the entire sentence to any answer with They in it is incorrect - that only leave C and D - since reported is in the past tense we need the past perfect had gone. therefore D is the answer.
Thanks Becky,

But there is also 2 other activities: "gone deeper in the space" and "previously estimated"
Since previous estimation is the prior activity, 'had' should be used for "previous estimated" like "than had previously estimated"
Sonu
--------
When you want something desperately, the whole Universe conspires in helping to give it to you - The Alchemist

GMAT Score:700

by samarpan_bschool » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:24 am
tpr-becky wrote:There is no plural noun in the entire sentence to any answer with They in it is incorrect - that only leave C and D - since reported is in the past tense we need the past perfect had gone. therefore D is the answer.
Hi Becky,

I disagree with your answer.

(i) We use the word 'previously' to indicate that 'estimated' happened before ' Orion has gone deeper into the space'
This obviates the use of past perfect here

(ii) Orion is still deep into the space - so a present prefect will make more sense here

by subgeeth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:30 am
I agree with Samarpan The answer should be C

Has gone Started in the past and still continuing
Had gone Started and completed in the past
Still working on my dreams best part is I have not achieved one yet !!!!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:580

by Gmatter2.0 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:25 pm
One more for C

Legendary Member

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:30 pm
sonu do u have the OA

by loveusonu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:07 pm
pradeepkaushal9518 wrote:sonu do u have the OA
nopes yaar, I got this question from some ones SC collections downloaded via esnips..Late to notice it doesn't have OA :(
Sonu
--------

GMAT Instructor

by tpr-becky » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:13 pm
After reading the responses I agree that the answer is C - only because they are going to start decelerating it - which means it has not stopped going into space.

Sorry for the confusion
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA

by pops » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:25 pm
C. has gone deeper in the space than previously estimated and it will start decelerating it.
How can C be correct?
NASA reported that Orion has gone deeper in the space than previously estimated and it will start decelerating it.

it seems that Orion will start decelerating itself.. its confusing

B, D and E are eliminated because of past perfect as Orion is still deep in space
Now C has above problem that I mentioned..
But even I find the reasoning that since Nasa and Orion both are singular 'They' is incorrect...

please explain.

GMAT Instructor

by tpr-becky » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:34 pm
The pronouns are certainly a problem becuase the sentence uses it for both Nasa and Orion - but both C and D have the same problem. The only difference is the verb tense which could have gone either way until the sentence said Nasa will start decelerating it - which means it has gone deeper (if you use past here you would be saying that they had already stopped this motion)
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA