Should I report my GMAT scores or my GRE scores?????

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:750
Harvard and Stanford accept GRE scores.

These are my GRE scores:
Quant: 770 (88%ile); Verbal: 680 (95%ile)

I have taken the GMAT 3 times:

660 (82%ile): Quant: 41 (60%ile); Verbal 40: (89%ile)
710 (92%ile): Quant: 44 (69%ile); Verbal 42: (95%ile)
750 (98%ile): Quant: 48 (83%ile); Verbal: 45 (98%ile)

Should I report the GRE which I have only taken once and is quite impressive or the GMAT for which the 750 is impressive but it took 3 trys?

Thoughts?

Experts PLEASE respond ASAP... Stanford app is due 2moro and Harvard app is due on Thursday...

Many many thanks!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by mygmat.2009 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:32 pm
Why not both?

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:750

by zuleron » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:59 pm
Coz i think it's more impressive if there is only 1 amazing score as opposed to 3 scores and the 3rd is amazing... Which would you prefer: a 760 or a 660, a 700 then a 760? A 760 the first time is more impressive, right?

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:34 pm
I think it's a good idea to report both or at least the GMAT.

Just think of it this way: why do you take the GMAT? The answer is that because it's a good predictor of your first year performance. And how do you know that? Because GMAC has done extensive research about this over the years. The makers of the GRE (ETS, who also does the TOEFL) don't have that kind of data yet, so I'd suspect that admissions officers are a bit more reserved with GRE scores.

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:200

by JasLamba » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:20 pm
Definitely GMAT - so what if you took it 3 times. Each time you did better and better. That shows alot about someone.

GRE - Also, just shows that you exceed expectations since both those schools take the GRE as well.

I would suggest both (I am no professional).

by mygmat.2009 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:44 am
Zuleron, the reason I asked why not both is because this is how I see it:

1) To my understanding, the adcom does not look at the GMAT report. They only look at the GMAT score you include on your online application and make their decision based on that score. Other people in the admin office will track the background checks to verify that you actually got that score.

2) Even if it took you 3 tries to achieve that GMAT score, you can use it to your advantage to show that you have initiative to push yourself and that you believe you were worth much more than your first score.

3) You can also use both GRE and GMAT to show that you are not afraid of taking any standardized test. In a sense they are asking for 1 strandard way to compare you to other applicants, you've got 2! I am sure the GMAT and GRE highlight slightly different attributes in a candidate and that way if you had both great scores, chances are the adcom will view a wider spectrum of great attributes in you.

If I absolutely had to choose one, I would definitely choose the GMAT for a simple reason, its harder to achieve a decent GMAT score than it is to get a high GRE (e.g. I have friends who scored 800s on GRE and they didn't even come close with the GMAT). Comparing Score vs. Percentile of both tests would also clearly show that.

Hope this helps,
Sam

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 am
GMAT > GRE in my opinion... you will be compared to other candidates GMAT scores... I also don't think it would hurt you at all to report both if you can.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:800

by gmatninja » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:42 am
Both scores are impressive, and I agree that you should report both if you can. If you absolutely must choose one, I would agree that the GMAT score is best. Very few people manage to get a 750, and I don't think you have anything to worry about at all in terms of your test score.

I don't think that any MBA program would reject you simply because you took the GMAT three times instead of just once. Good luck with your applications--you're in great shape with the test score!
helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... https://www.gmatninja.com/

Followed by:13 members

by Linda Abraham » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:54 pm
If you can, both. If not, the GMAT. they take (and count) the highest and 750 is real high.

Best,
Linda
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:00 am
Received a PM asking me to reply.

I like what Linda said. I was going to recommend that you ask the admissions counselor folks until I saw that one had already replied. (In general, admissions counselors are a better source for these kinds of questions than GMAT experts - we don't know as much about the admissions side of things.)

Also, I disagree that it is automatically more impressive to get a 750 the first time. The progression from 660 to 710 to 750 tells me that you have perseverance and that that perseverance was realistic and justified (because you were actually able to accomplish your goal). Those are good qualities for a prospective MBA student.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by lgreen » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:41 pm
gmatninja wrote:Both scores are impressive, and I agree that you should report both if you can. If you absolutely must choose one, I would agree that the GMAT score is best. Very few people manage to get a 750, and I don't think you have anything to worry about at all in terms of your test score.

I don't think that any MBA program would reject you simply because you took the GMAT three times instead of just once. Good luck with your applications--you're in great shape with the test score!
Couldn't agree more.

That 750 is a gem and proving you did the work to get is golden! With all the guaranteed gre practice test providers out there it's a no brainer to have both if you can afford the time/money.

I'm just about to try and tackle my GRE, I am just snooping around for people with experience/recommendations.

Good luck! ;)
All that glitters has a high refractive index.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:39 am
mygmat.2009 wrote:Zuleron, the reason I asked why not both is because this is how I see it:

If I absolutely had to choose one, I would definitely choose the GMAT for a simple reason, its harder to achieve a decent GMAT score than it is to get a high GRE (e.g. I have friends who scored 800s on GRE and they didn't even come close with the GMAT). Comparing Score vs. Percentile of both tests would also clearly show that.

Hope this helps,
Sam
I thought it might help readers to clarify the statement made here.

Doing well on the GRE and not on the GMAT does not mean that the GMAT is a tougher test. The GRE verbal section is more difficult than the GMAT verbal section for many people because the GRE focuses more on vocabulary and less on grammar. There are also some differences with the math, writing section, and timing (for more details you can visit https://www.standardizedtests.org/content/gmat-vs-gre ). In a nutshell it comes down to your strengths and weakness

Secondly, and more to the point for this forum topic, it is important to know how schools look at the GRE when they are assessing your ability. Sam is right to say that it is easier to get a higher composite score on the GRE, but schools tend to look more at your percentile ranking than your composite scores. Also, it is important to have a high percentile score on both the verbal and math section. Therefore, if one has a high composite score, but a low percentile on the GRE math section (for example) one may want to reconsider submitting the GRE scorecard.

To give a specific GRE score requirement- the London Business School asks that students receive 90th percentile on both the math and verbal section.
Last edited by Dan@VinciaPrep on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

by mygmat.2009 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:33 am
Well said dan.gmat.gre. Thx for the additional insight! :)