1000 SC - Q 99

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

1000 SC - Q 99

by HJ » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:36 pm
Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.

A. he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is

B. he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is

C. he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was

D. he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was

E. saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been

The correct answer is A. Can someone please explain why the answer is not D? In my opinion, the "manager agreed" should be paired with "was", not "is".
Thanks for your help.

Community Manager

by pahwa » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:02 am
you have a vaid question. Before answering this, I want you to go through a following scenerio and tell me if that is fine....

lets say that you are discussing about a meeting that happened in your office yesterday (past tesnse), discussing about your future project deal. And, now (present), you are happy and conveying the same to ur friend.

"Hey John, I am happy. I want to tell you something.My manager DECIDED over who is going onsite yesterday. The result IS that I AM flying to UK tomorrow."
Does this situation answer your question?

Also, MUST in A conveys that sure decision has been made and it has to be implemented asap.

by HJ » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:58 am
Pahwa,
Thank you for your explanation.

by IndianJaguar » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:05 pm
I believe the use of future tense "will know" is better than "would know" (would is past) and "is doing " instead of "was doing". Since the manager wants this to be an ongoing thing in the future the usage in A is better. This is my take.

Followed by:6 members

by BTGmoderatorRO » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:59 am
Option A
This option is the correct option, after so much deliberation and tactical look at.
'it must' established that the work is a superior person which is the 'manager'
Also, know what everyone IS assigned to do. It is important to know that the use of 'IS' over WAS' here is deliberate and that is the correct verb tense agreement.

Option B 'it had to be posted' this is an awkward construction that renders the option invalid.

OPtion C
'they would have to post' this is similar to B above the use of the verb to be in a hypothetical way.

Option D.
suffers the same fate as option C above therefore incorrect.

Option E.
'saying' the present particle is not a required word here and violates proper verb tenses