Got beat by the GMAT -- 650

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Got beat by the GMAT -- 650

by kn2130 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:01 pm
I sat for the GMAT today and the results were quite disappointing. I scored a 650 -- 38 V, 41 Q. I was a bit nervous about the timing and ended up guessing on several questions to save time, and ended up having an extra 10 minutes or so in Quant. I understand this is a decent score, but I am disappointed because I was performing better on practice exams, 700, 710, but in particular my raw score in Quant on the real test was lower than in any of the practice exams. My lowest score on practice exams was a 40, and that was on the first exam I ever took, before any prep, my highest quant was a 47, and the average was 45. So, I don't know what went wrong.

By the time I started quant, I felt more relaxed and, therefore, more confident.

I'm definitely going to sit for it again next month. Any advice? Anything thoughts at all would be MOST appreciated. Trying to aim the coveted 700+.

thanks!

MBA Student
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:740

by becnil » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:53 pm
Try to analyze your test. As it is for the practice tests, you will need to think back and try to figure out what type of questions you mostly got wrong. Think separately about verbal and quant; also, compare your test with the practice tests and see if you find some factors which may have caused you to score poor in the real test.

For the GMAT preparation, I have found that analyzing the practice tests is an amazing tool to reassess your strengths and weaknesses and it helps you to point your attention in the right direction.

GMAT Score:580

by srinivasarajui » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:14 am
If you would say what practice tests you took, I think we will get a better idea about your preparation.
Srinu

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by Brothersharp » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:11 pm
What is your study schedule like? Are you studying every day, even if it's only for a few minutes?

Also, what prep materials are you using? Maybe it's time to switch it up and try something different.

by kn2130 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm
Hey there,

Thanks so much for the feedback. The practice tests I took were MGMAT and GMAT Prep. I took about 5 MGMAT and 3 GMATPrep, oh and 1 PowerPrep.

Brothersharp, I read your post yesterday and you really made me laugh. I responded saying that you summed up my experience well. I think I just got really nervous and was flying through the questions trying not to run out of time. Quant is my strength and a 38 is DEF not a reflection of what I can do.

So, my plan is, I am going through the list of 700 questions and doing them 37 at a time, to practice on the timing. But I am also methodically reviewing each question, checking forums both here and on the MGMAT website. And I do study every day, and have been doing so since the beginning of my studies. Things are getting a little crazy now because I am getting married in 2 months, but I am still giving it an hour a day.

I hope this does the trick. any further feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by Brothersharp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:38 pm
Oh, congratulations! Yeah, I can relate because I'm getting married next week! It makes focusing more of a challenge, but it's certainly not impossible. Good luck!