Spring 2011 NYU Langone Part-Time Admissions

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Stacy,

I am hopeful that you can provide me with some guidance as I consider embarking on the part-time MBA application process. My info is as follows:

GPA - 3.4 (Big 10 Business School)
Work Experience - between 2 and 4 years depending on whether internships count; I have 9 years of combined work experience in sports industry
EC - probably an average amount
GRE/GMAT - have yet to take either; are there drawbacks to taking either? should I simply submit the one on which I perform the best?

In short, I seek an MBA to refine my analytical skills in an effort to accelerate my advancement within my chosen industry and to complement my practical work experience.

Also, what is the earliest I could apply for Spring 2011 admission to Langone? What should my target test scores be?

Any insight you're able to provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks...

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:42 am
Dear allbusiness4,

Based on the information posted, I would say you have the foundation for a competitive application to the Langone program. Your GMAT score should be at or above the average to be competitive, but if you score within the mid-50% range, you should still have a chance with an otherwise strong application. In terms of your years of work experience, the number only includes full-time, professional experience post-bachelor's degree. So, if your internships were during college, then that time does not count in the number of years--but it does count in terms of your evaluation as an applicant.

Most business schools still prefer the GMAT. You might check with the admissions folks at NYU to see if there is a preference there; if not, then I think you should pick one versus trying to prepare for both. If you plan to apply to more than one business school, the GMAT is probably your better option as many schools only take the GMAT.

The earliest you can apply is the first day applications are accepted for the Spring 2011 intake. If the application is available, then usually it is also being accepted.

I highly encourage you to visit the campus and attend a class if you have not done so. I think it is a valuable experience and will help you as you write your essays. Likewise, it will allow you to introduce yourself to the admissions office and hopefully make a favorable impression.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by allbusiness4 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:42 am
Lisa,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

So, with regard to the GMAT/GRE question, does it make a difference which one I take? NYU accepts both and I believe that the GRE might better align with my test-taking strengths. However, I've also heard that taking the GMAT demonstrates a greater commitment to Business School in the application. I'll follow-up with the admissions office but I'm assuming that since they accept both, they'll tell me either is sufficient. I just want to make sure that by preparing for the GRE instead of the GMAT I'm not somehow adversely affecting my chances of admission.

Also, in your experience, are GMAT/GRE, GPA and LOR, essays, etc. all weighed equally in the MBA admissions process. I'm just trying to gauge my chances and set my target score, etc.

Thanks for your help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:43 pm
As I noted previously, for NYU it might not matter which test you take, but if you plan to apply to other programs, then you might want to take the GMAT as it is the one accepted by all business schools. There is a perception that the GRE is "easier" than the GMAT, but I don't know that "easier" is the right descriptive term. The tests are simply different. If you have done some research and feel that one test is better suited to your strengths, then that is probably the one to take.

All of the applications components are equally important and are not really given numerical weights. There are variances based on the individual. For example, you might have a really high GMAT which will then mitigate a below average GPA. Ideally, you want your GMAT at or above average to be in the best position. Since your GPA is at or slightly above average, then you will still be academically competitive with a GMAT in the mid-50% range. In essence, you want to shoot for a GMAT over about a 650/660 with your ideal zone over a 680.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by allbusiness4 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Thanks.

by dmnyc » Sun May 02, 2010 5:57 am
Great information, Lisa.
I went to an MBA Information Session at NYU last week and the admissions officers announced that they are now accepting GREs. I still plan on taking the GMAT though because, as you mentioned, GMAT is accepted at all schools.