Scored Just 580 on the GMAT - Need Advice!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Scored Just 580 on the GMAT - Need Advice!!

by BBharath » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:37 pm
Hi,

Just appeared for my GMAT and scored a lowly 580.(Q 44, V 27). Did the essays well (yet to receive the official score), and was OK on the Quant (No idea why i didn't score >44). Verbal started off fine, but after some 12-13 questions, i had this overwhelming sense of helplessness....just drew a blank on the questions that followed. I was there just staring into the screen, with my eyes watering......it was like i had completely lost my train of thought!! I know this might sound crazy, but i really became restless and just finished the exam in haste. I would need a score of >=730 to get into the school of my choice, so i am planning to take the GMAT again in March '08.
I gave only one practice test at the beginning (4 weeks earlier-GMATPrep - 650) and could not give any more owing to severe time contraints (i guess that's one of the reasons :( )

What would be the best strategy to follow, now that i have 4+ months to prepare? I work full time in IT - long days of hard work, but the weekends are available.

Thanks a lot for your replies to my query.

-Bharath

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:08 am
Hi Bharath:

Sorry to hear about your disappointment!

I'm not sure what your previous approach to studying for the GMAT was--but it sounds like you need to take some time to formulate a solid study strategy.

I would spend some time reading my Beat The GMAT Blog and GMAT Resources Section. There are some great tips and examples of how you can form your own study strategy.

Jumping from 580 to 730 (or even 650 to 730) is not going to be easy, and will definitely take a lot of effort on your part. If you are willing to invest a little bit into a course, I would recommend looking at the Manhattan GMAT Virtual Class. Many members have taken this course have had only great things to say. As a member yourself, you are entitled to a 10% discount.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I guess you are right. I had no plan or strategy this time. I will have to adopt a solid strategy/plan and stick to it. I will definitely go through your blog and start my preparation all over. But i still do not understand why did i go blank in the middle of my exam.

Thanks a lot for your reply.