730 (Q49, V40). Already booked next appointment.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750
I saw a post asking if 730 is enough for top 5 mba. And people answered heck yes.

My version of the question is: How much my chance of getting admitted to top 20 mba is increased if I can improve my score from 730 to 750+?

I just got 730 today, not upset, not satisfied either. I booked another appointment exactly 31 days from today right after I got home. Maybe just my ego speaking here, or maybe I want to learn to be persistent and reach my goal for once. My goal is 750+. I think 730 is enough, but if I cannot reach my goal of 750+ in GMAT, how can I achieve other more difficult goals later in the application process and in life? I guess this is just my way of training myself to keep trying and to up my chance the best I can. After all, I got my Master and BS from a no name school (3.8 GPA), having worked for 3 years in a no name company. GMAT is one of the few things I can improve.

I have already busted my a$$ last 6 months, might as well bust it for another month to be able to have satisfying closure. I want that 750+, and I want it bad. I hope I can have that 750+ so I can write an 'I beat the GMAT, here is what I did' post like many others. Those 750+ posts really motivated me to set my goal of 750 (I originally shot for 700). For that, I thank you.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nyse4 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:42 pm
I think you are too hard on yourself though I understand this is between you and GMAT :) - I also think that with 730 you can comfortably get into the school of your dreams. You have a lot of ambition and that in itself is a quality. Thank you for your post.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:31 pm
tienvunguyen wrote:I saw a post asking if 730 is enough for top 5 mba. And people answered heck yes.

My version of the question is: How much my chance of getting admitted to top 20 mba is increased if I can improve my score from 730 to 750+?

I just got 730 today, not upset, not satisfied either. I booked another appointment exactly 31 days from today right after I got home. Maybe just my ego speaking here, or maybe I want to learn to be persistent and reach my goal for once. My goal is 750+. I think 730 is enough, but if I cannot reach my goal of 750+ in GMAT, how can I achieve other more difficult goals later in the application process and in life? I guess this is just my way of training myself to keep trying and to up my chance the best I can. After all, I got my Master and BS from a no name school (3.8 GPA), having worked for 3 years in a no name company. GMAT is one of the few things I can improve.

I have already busted my a$$ last 6 months, might as well bust it for another month to be able to have satisfying closure. I want that 750+, and I want it bad. I hope I can have that 750+ so I can write an 'I beat the GMAT, here is what I did' post like many others. Those 750+ posts really motivated me to set my goal of 750 (I originally shot for 700). For that, I thank you.
Go for it if doing so does not take time away from your application essays. By the way, working for 'a no name company' is what the vast majority of applicants do. The question is, how are you getting on in your company? Are you excelling/leading/exploiting opportunities/embracing responsbility/striving to learn ?
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

GMAT Score:720

by arindamcanada » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:15 pm
kevincanspain wrote:
tienvunguyen wrote:I saw a post asking if 730 is enough for top 5 mba. And people answered heck yes.

Go for it if doing so does not take time away from your application essays. By the way, working for 'a no name company' is what the vast majority of applicants do. The question is, how are you getting on in your company? Are you excelling/leading/exploiting opportunities/embracing responsbility/striving to learn ?
I would agree with Kevin here. If you see the stats of this year - plenty of people 750+ were dinged and plenty of people between 720-750 were accepted at the top 5. Its all about how your write your life's story and get the adcoms to read it. If you just see this forum there are plenty of people who report 740+ but all of them did not get into H or W or S. GMAT is probably like a hygiene factor - if its lower than something it is bad, but once it goes past 720 or something it does not really matter. However at the end of the day it is your take so congratulations for the damn good score and best of luck for a future GMAT or the applications. May God Bless you.
- Just one life, Just one chance

Visit my pre-mba blog - https://canadatousamba.blocked

GMAT Score:710

by Brothersharp » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:18 am
I'm no expert, but I think you should only take the test again if you think something happened that made you think that you didn't perform to your abilities. Since my nervousness caused me to underperform on the quant section, I'll be retaking. Like the others have said, your score probably is good enough for any school, provided that you've got an awesome total application.

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750

by tienvunguyen » Fri May 14, 2010 4:21 am
I finally got my 750. Thanks for you comments. Good luck everyone.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/730-750-you- ... 57787.html