So I didn't beat the GMAT....

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

So I didn't beat the GMAT....

by sdevi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:26 pm
... Coz they didn't allow me to take it. I got turned away at the test center as my name did not match my passport. In my passport, my name is SXXXXX DXXX Daughter Of <My father's name>... don't ask me why it's like that, perhaps my parents were worried I would forget my Dad or something :P Anyway it's a cultural thing. I applied for the GMAT under my own name SXXXXX DXXX (as I had for every exam including SATs) but the person at the center said I have to amend my surname to 'Daughter Of <My father's name>'. However ridiculous I find that to be, I would have accepted it, forfeited my money and quietly reapplied if not for the fact that this rule does not seem to apply to everyone.

I'm Singaporean, and taking my test in Singapore. If you are Chinese, and your passport states your name as Pamela Ming Yen Lee, you are allowed to apply just as Pamela Lee. When I questioned the person at the center on this, she said something about a cultural clause. I don't see why this clause doesn't apply to me then. 'Daughter of my Dad's name' is technically not my surname, and I've always put DXXX as my surname, as does my sister. Anyway I understand the policy of requiring your application name to match your passport, but this really should apply to everybody, and not only to non-chinese. (Comeon, Pamela Lee is a really common name, and I wonder if more than one Pamela Lees in the future will have the same score :P)

I've already called the APAC hotline, but the operator does not seem to know what I'm talking about. Does anyone know of a Headquarter number I can call?? They're not even unlocking my profile, and I can't change my name. Ideally I'd like to take the exam tomorrow, and I'm not sure if I should apply for a new account or what :cry: [/img]